Background and early life
Dina was orphaned at a young age, leading her older sister, Talia to raise her. At some point prior to 2033, Dina moved to Jackson, Wyoming, and joined the community under the leadership of Maria. During their trip to Seattle, Dina told Ellie her first kill was when she was ten, stabbing a man who tried to attack her mother. She also became acquainted with Jesse, another survivor who lived within the settlement.
2034 - 2038
Events of The Last of Us Part II
A few days after the end of Dina and Jesse's relationship, there is a celebration in a church within the settlement. Dina dances with a man from the group, as Jesse and Ellie look on. She invites Ellie, who is drinking at the bar, to dance with her. While dancing, Dina kisses Ellie, remarking that the other boys in the village should be "terrified" because Ellie has more of a chance with Dina than they do.
The day after, Dina and Ellie are assigned to patrol the creek trails, the route which Dina had previously covered with the late Eugene Linden. While on patrol, they talk about their respective previous relationships with Cat and Jesse, the cheesy action films Joel enjoys, and their dreams of traveling to different places.
After dealing with numerous infected along their route, a strong blizzard develops and they take shelter in a library. Here, they discover that Eugene had been growing marijuana. While sharing an old joint, Dina confronts Ellie about their kiss the previous night, leading to another passionate kiss and the pair consummating their relationship.
After a while, Jesse arrives at the library looking for them; he tells them that Joel and Tommy didn't arrive at the lookout as scheduled, and they decide to go look for them, taking different directions. When Dina arrives at the hunting lodge, she finds Joel's corpse and an unconscious, beaten Ellie.
The next morning, Dina is present as Ellie is mourning over Joel's grave. She remarks that Maria locked down the stables following Tommy's departure, which could hinder their plans for leaving. Ellie tells Dina that she shouldn't feel obligated to travel to Seattle. However, Dina assures Ellie that it is her choice. She accompanies Ellie to Joel's house to pick up his watch and revolver, where they are questioned by Maria over their plans for leaving Jackson. Alongside Ellie, she promises to help bring Tommy home safely.
Halfway through Dina and Ellie's mission to avenge Joel's death, Dina reveals she is pregnant with Jesse's child. This puts a strain on their relationship. As such, Dina stays behind in the theater the pair have established as a hideout, telling Ellie to try to find Tommy in the neighborhood of Hillcrest. Before Ellie leaves, Dina gives her a bracelet to wear.[fn 3] Hours later, Ellie returns with Jesse. However, she also has a lead about reaching Abby at the Lakehill Seattle Hospital. She leaves Jesse behind with Dina while she departs to continue her crusade.
When Ellie returns, she has learned that Abby is hiding at the aquarium, but she is covered in blood and shaking. Dina helps wash the blood off, and Ellie, traumatized at having tortured Nora, confesses she doesn't want to lose Dina. The next day, Ellie and Jesse leave the theater to look for Tommy, and return with him several hours later. Ellie then lays by Dina's side backstage, watching her struggle with her fever, before leaving to check on Tommy and Jesse in the theater hall.
Soon after, Abby finds their location, shoots Tommy, kills Jesse, and then engages Ellie in a fight. Finding Abby beating Ellie, Dina runs up to Abby, tackles her and slashes her with her knife. However, Lev shoots Dina through the shoulder, allowing Abby to gain the upper hand and knock Dina out. Ellie pleads with Abby to spare Dina, revealing the latter is pregnant. Abby, however, says "good" and prepares to slit Dina's throat. Lev calls out to Abby, leading her to come to her senses and spare Dina. Afterwards, Dina, Ellie and Tommy return to Jackson.
Almost a year later, Ellie and Dina live on a farm with Dina's son JJ. While Ellie carries JJ around the farm, Dina washes the dishes and hangs the clothes on a washing line. Ellie puts on some music and the trio dance to it before Dina pushes her off and insists she has to put out the laundry. While doing so, Dina tells Ellie to put the sheep back in the barn so they can eat. However, in the process of rounding up the sheep, Ellie has a traumatic flashback to her being unable to save Joel at the moment of his death. Hearing her screams, Dina rushes to the barn to console Ellie and calm her down.
Sometime later, Tommy visits Dina and Ellie. Despite his lost mobility and eyesight, he is happy the pair are doing well. However, he reveals he actually came to ask the pair to pursue Abby again, having narrowed down her location. Dina insists the pair are done with that, to which Ellie hesitantly agrees. Angered, Tommy berates Ellie and storms out. Giving JJ to Ellie, Dina pursues Tommy and demands he never come back with talk about Abby again. Tommy tells her to save it and rides off.
That night, Ellie stays up thinking about Joel. By early morning, Dina comes downstairs to find Ellie packing her bag to leave. She asks Ellie to come back to bed, but Ellie reveals she has to go kill Abby; she believes it will end her PTSD and enable her to eat and sleep again. Despite Dina's pleas, Ellie leaves for California, and Dina decides to take JJ and abandon the farm.
Design and appearance
Dina wears numerous articles of clothing during the game. She predominantly wears brown and autumn-colored clothes, such as her brown fur coat she wears while on patrol, and her brown denim jacket while hunting Abby in Seattle. She wears blue jeans. Her hair is black and typically tied back in a ponytail, and she has a light dusting of freckles on her face.[fn 4] She is also Jewish.
Dina and Ellie are close friends for a long time, both having mutual crushes on each other, yet never admitting it. Eventually, during the dance, Dina - having recently broken up with Jesse for good - decides to kiss Ellie, who responds in kind. The next day, the pair are partnered up for their patrol and consummate their relationship at Eugene Linden's hideout.
Dina insisted on joining Ellie's journey to Seattle in the latter's pursuit of vengeance against Joel's murderers, displaying high loyalty to her.
At some point between Jackson and Seattle, Dina discovers that she is pregnant with JJ. When the two reach Seattle, both their secrets come to light: Ellie learns of Dina's pregnancy, while Dina learned of Ellie's immunity to Cordyceps. Her pregnancy puts a temporary dent in their relationship as Ellie is angered and hurt that Dina would willingly put herself in harm's way, in addition to believing that she would be a burden in Ellie's hunt for Abby.
However, after killing Nora, Ellie expressed that she did not want to lose Dina, indicating that their relationship remained strong. Their love for each other was further strengthened after their departure from Seattle when they moved into their farm with JJ. Their happiness was short-lived, however, when Tommy paid a visit to the farm, demanding Ellie honor her promise to kill Abby. Dina argued with Ellie against it, but Ellie was resolute in her desire for revenge.
Staying true to her word, Dina took JJ and left the farm, leaving Ellie to return home to discover the place abandoned.
Dina and Jesse dated on and off for a few years before eventually breaking up. Although they are not together, they seem to respect and care for each other. Dina was never able to tell him that she was pregnant with JJ before Jesse died.
While Jesse himself never got to meet his son, Dina ensured his family could spend time with JJ, keeping Jesse's legacy alive.
After their mother died, Talia was left to raise her younger sister Dina. She used to take Dina to a synagogue to pray, a practice that Dina took up herself in private. Dina told Ellie that if she got her hands on her sister's killer she would do worse than what Tommy did to those who helped kill Joel, displaying extreme devotion to Talia.
While living on the farm, Dina kept a photo of herself with Talia.
- Dina: "You know what I love about you? How you let me finish my sentences."
- Dina: "You wanna see something spectacular?"
- Ellie: "You're going to point at your face, aren't you?"
- Dina: "Nothing is that spectacular."
- Dina: "You go, I go. End of story."
- Dina: "Ellie… I think I'm pregnant."
- Ellie: "What?"
- Dina: "Don't worry, it's not yours."
- Ellie: [To JJ] "Your mom is very easy to please."
- Dina: "I'm with you, my bar is very low."
- Dina: "Hey! What the fuck was that?"
- Tommy: "Nothin'."
- Dina: "God damn it, Tommy. You know what we've been through--"
- Tommy: "Save it! She made me a promise!"
- Dina: "I don't fucking care!"
- Tommy: "I know you don't, Dina. That's your goddamn problem."
- Ellie: "I'm… just a girl. Not a threat."
- Dina: "Oh, Ellie… I think they should be terrified of you."
- Dina: "We've got a family. She doesn't get to be more important than that."
The Last of Us Part II
- Dina's voice actress, Shannon Woodward, and Isaac Dixon's, Jeffrey Wright, were both previously in the HBO series Westworld together. , who was the narrative lead for Part II, was also a writer for the show.
- The name Dina is a common Hebrew name, an alternate spelling to the biblical name Dinah - the daughter of Jacob, one of the patriarchs of the Israelite. The Hebrew meaning of the name is "vindicated" or "judged".
- Dina wears a hamsa bracelet. Such bracelets are common throughout the Middle East, and often serve as a good luck charm, or protection from the evil eye (jealousy or spite). Hanging on the wall at her and Ellie's farmhouse is another hamsa featuring the chai symbol, the Hebrew word for "alive" or "living" and a prominent Jewish symbol.
- In the earlier concept art, Dina's nose was supposed to be more bridged.
- The Last of Us 2 ending explained: A spoiler filled look at what it all means, GamesRadar (Accessed 2022)
- The Last of Us 2 players spot tiny detail that presents massive implications for the ending, GamesRadar (Accessed 2022)
- Cascina Caradonna is Dina from The Last of Us 2, YouTube, (Accessed 25 August, 2020)
- "The Farm"
- Naughty Dog, The Art of The Last of Us Part II, (Oregon: Dark Horse Books, 2020), p.25
- "Seattle Day 2"
- "Seattle Day 1"
- "Seattle Day 3"
- "Seattle Day 3"
- "The Farm"
- Fan Theory Confirmed, Mashable, (Accessed 6 March, 2021)
- "Santa Barbara"