The Last of Us: American Dreams is a four-issue miniseries published by The Last of Us lead writer, and lead artist, , American Dreams chronicles the journey of Ellie and a survivor named Riley prior to events that take place in the game. American Dreams was published monthly by Dark Horse from April to July 2013 and was released in a trade paperback format on October 30, 2013.. Written by
Nineteen years ago, a parasitic fungal outbreak killed the majority of the world’s population, forcing survivors into a handful of quarantine zones. Thirteen-year-old Ellie has grown up in this violent, post-pandemic world, and her disrespect for the military authority running her boarding school earns her new enemies, a new friend in fellow rebel Riley, and her first trip into the outside world. The official lead-in to the game from Faith Erin Hicks (The Adventures of Superhero Girl) and Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann!
―Dark Horse.com description
During the production of The Last of Us, Dark Horse comics approached Neil Druckmann with the idea of producing a tie-in comic book for the game. Initially wary of the prospect, Druckmann said Dark Horse “lured him into it because "they didn't want to do something tangential” with the opportunity of expanding their characters and universe beyond the game. On the subject of whom he wanted to work on the project, Druckmann took Dark Horse up on webcomic artist Faith Erin Hicks (Demonology 101). Already aware of the game, Hicks was later signed to the title by Dark Horse as co-writer and artist.
On the matter of the comic’s content, Druckmann and Hicks stated that the American Dreams would focus primarily on Ellie’s “day-to-day life” inside the quarantine zone that goes unexplored in the game. On the cusp of her thirteenth birthday, Ellie is faced with the choice of joining the military or suffer ex-communication and survive on her own. Hicks cites that American Dreams is similar to her own works detailing the life of “teenage girls and zombies” and the chance to combine the two elements provided a challenge on the perspective of surviving in an environment like Ellie’s.
On the subject of Riley, Hicks, and Druckmann describe her as a “tough” and “cool older girl” in the story. She forms a relationship with Ellie on the eve of her own choice to joining the military and will affect the events that led up to the game.
- United States military
- Dark Horse: THE LAST OF US: AMERICAN DREAMS #3
- THE LAST OF US: AMERICAN DREAMS TPB
- CBR.com: NYCC: Neil Druckmann, Faith Erin Hicks & Dark Horse Introduce "The Last of Us" Comic
- New York Comic Con: New Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Last of Us Books Coming
- IGN.com: The Last of Us Prequel Comic, Art Book Revealed
- faitherinhicks: So yeah, this happened. ;)
- Newsarama.com: THE LAST OF US Comic Creators Building on Game's World
- Snyder, Rochelle (June 9, 2022). "The Growing Future of The Last Of Us". Naughty Dog. Retrieved June 9, 2022.
- Naughty Dog [@Naughty_Dog] (June 9, 2022). "We've love seeing @KOPF_STOFF's stunning art on our feeds -- and, now, on the covers of The Last of Us Part I and alternate variants of The Last of Us: American Dreams." (Tweet). Retrieved June 9, 2022 - via Twitter.
|Main characters||Ellie · Riley Abel|
|Fireflies||Marlene · Kerry · Trevor|
|U.S. military||Corporal "Dickhead" · Princess · Winston Asher|
|Other characters||Anna · Roberta Coen|
|Groups||Fireflies · Infected (Stalkers) · Smugglers · Survivors · United States military|
Weapons and items in The Last of Us: American Dreams
|Long guns||Assault rifle · Double barrel shotgun · Hunting rifle|
|Melee weapons||2x4 · Switchblade|
|Other items||Brick · M18 smoke grenade|