FANDOM


  • Snivystorm
    Snivystorm closed this thread because:
    Discussion towards the end veers off topic and other parts bring in points more appropriate for other boards.
    23:27, September 9, 2017

    (Spoilers)

    I thought about the infection and the way it affects people. And something jumped into my head- Joel never gets infected. The bloater projectiles don't make him turn. He never cleans his clothes after walking around in infected areas, they would be soaked in spores, and he takes his mask off seconds after exiting. He lives with Ellie for a year and its almost certain that she can spread the virus. He chokes and punches many infected with bare hands.

    What I'm saying is... maybe he is immune and he doesn't even know it. Think about it. The only way he can be killed by an infected is by a bite or a punch. Ellie is  confirmed to be immune, yet she can die in the exact same ways. AND both Joel and Ellie have listen mode, the same way the clickers "see".  We don't know how the immunity works, but it's probably  genetic. Riley and Ellie were most likely bitten by the same runner but Riley didn't survive . It's also unknown how Anna died, she might have been immune too. No one in Joel's family gets infected.

    Come to think about it, Joel said that there were others like Ellie. WHAT IF he knows that's true? Maybe he wears a token mask just to hide his immunity. We saw what happened to the other person who was immune.

    These might be holes OR Naughty Dog made a subtle plot point that fitted the game's limitations. I mean, it would've been boring if Joel had to put on a full protection suilt every time there was a closed area in the game. Or if he got infected by giving Ellie a boost.  In fact the hand to hand combat would have been useless against runners.

    Who knows, it's a theory.

      Loading editor
    • If I recall spores are only truly capable of causing any harm in close quarters, whenever Joel takes off his gas mask he's in open air which would like "destroy" the spores.

      With you mentioning the death scenes, they can't be taken into account as they're a non-canon game over however logically it still makes sense for Ellie to die as the infected bites into her neck which has some important veins like the jugular which if it's severed can cause death in mere seconds.

      The listening mode is a mere gameplay mechanic and has no actual effect on the story.

      In the case of the Bloater there's multiple thoughts on why Joel doesn't get infected, a common theory is that the spores are "acidic" compared to the other spores.

      It's never elaborated if Ellie can infect others, as the only case we've seen is David to which she claimed he was infected after biting him.

      On a final note you kinda contradicted yourself, you mentioned "what if he's immune and he doesn't know it" then later said "maybe he wears a token mask to hide his immunity" in order for that happen he'd had to be aware of his immunity if he is.

        Loading editor
    • Well firstly, I don't think people become infected by simply touching other infected, like when Joel punches and chokes infected/gives Ellie boosts.

      Speaking of Ellie, the only way she could infect Joel is if she ever decided to bite or scratch Joel. The infection spreads by bite/scratch and breathing in spores, so spores can't infect by coming in contact with one's skin or clothes. Plus, spores can only spread in closed areas. And since Ellie can't get infected, when she dies someday, she can't emit the spores. I'm not even 100% percent sure if she can spread the infection or not. We never got to find out if David would become infected after she bit him because she killed him first. (sorry if i misunderstood your theory, maybe i just can't read, idk)

      Like Riley Heligo said about the death scenes, when the infected bite Joel or Ellie's neck, they sever important veins that instantly kill them. And they practically rip their neck. They were either gonna die instantly or bleed out anyway.

      But I do applaud you on the way you think--thinking outside the box. That'll take you places. I would've never come to these conclusions. Props to you.

      Maybe some of this stuff is true and Naughty Dog thought no one would figure it out. Or maybe they just did some stuff (like the spores Bloaters throw) for gameplay purposes. Either way, we can all agree this game really deserved it's 10/10 perfect score from IGN.

        Loading editor
    • Probably being with Ellie for one year improved Joel's immunity

        Loading editor
    • 26.22.69 wrote:

      (Spoilers)

      "It's also unknown how Anna died, she might have been immune too."

      "No one in Joel's family gets infected."

      "Come to think about it, Joel said that there were others like Ellie. WHAT IF he knows that's true? Maybe he wears a token mask just to hide his immunity."

      "We saw what happened to the other person who was immune."


      Spores probably become ineffective when they're outside of a moist environment, like if the spores landed on Joel's clothing. Shortly after he left the damp, dark environment, the spores probably become ineffective as spreading the infection.

      Immunity is not spread from mother to offspring - it's just something people are born with. So Anna could not have given Ellie her immunity IF she was immune.

      No one in Joel's family gets infected? What are you talking about? The only other known family member of Joel's is Sarah and we KNOW how she died - she got shot by the military. 

      Joel lied to Ellie about there being other immune people. Maybe Joel hides his immunity? You said earlier in your post "what if Joel is not aware he's immune?" So does he know he's immune or not? lol. You went back and forth with your theory, idk. And the only way to test if he's immune is to.. be bitten or be exposed to the spores. We know for certain he's never been bitten though.

      We saw what happened to the other person who was immune? Again, what are you talking about? Ellie is the only known immune person to the infection. Those "test subjects" you heard the surgeon talking about were people who were bitten or whatever that had already turned - they weren't "other immunes." Joel was lying to Ellie so she wouldn't be disappointed. 

        Loading editor
    • I think the other family member he mentioned is Tommy.

      Is it possible for spores to spread alive from Ellie's breath? Can it probably somehow improved Joel's immunity?

      Btw, winterlotus90 your theory is the most satisfying for me, i support almost every theory you have there. I think you should know that. Thanks for sharing.

        Loading editor
    • Mikey333 wrote:
      I think the other family member he mentioned is Tommy.

      Is it possible for spores to spread alive from Ellie's breath? Can it probably somehow improved Joel's immunity?

      Btw, winterlotus90 your theory is the most satisfying for me, i support almost every theory you have there. I think you should know that. Thanks for sharing.

      OMG! I forgot about Tommy! AHH! Sorry! I feel dumb. But yeah my theory still holds that Sarah and Tommy were never bitten so, we can't determine from that that Joel is immune just because they never get infected. And once again immunity isn't an inheritable trait anyway. That's like saying all the fireflies, the military, Henry, Sam, Tommy's town, Marlene, etc. were all immune just because we didn't see them get infected. Which isn't true. 

        Loading editor
    • Joel isn't immune guys! LOL come on now.

        Loading editor
    • No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious. 

        Loading editor
    • Winterlotus90 wrote:
      Joel isn't immune guys! LOL come on now.

      I know, I just like to have wild imagination  ;)

        Loading editor
    • Winterlotus90 wrote:
      No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious. 


      then, is it the mutation that caused it spreadable by bites and scratches?

        Loading editor
    • Well, about the hearing sense, I guess its just a normal sense only sharper than the others.As if in my opinion, the clickers hearing things with echolocation ablity that means they use their clicking sound like a sonar to know where the bait is.So I could say that the real Joels like half-immune, I mean half human half infected but still normal like Ellie, since Ellie is the most famous immuned one....

        Loading editor
    • 180.253.112.239 wrote: Well, about the hearing sense, I guess its just a normal sense only sharper than the others.As if in my opinion, the clickers hearing things with echolocation ablity that means they use their clicking sound like a sonar to know where the bait is.So I could say that the real Joels like half-immune, I mean half human half infected but still normal like Ellie, since Ellie is the most famous immuned one....

      It's a mere gameplay mechanic, by that logic the multiplayer characters are "half human, half infected" which in its own case is impossible.

        Loading editor
    • I still stand by that theory.

      The infection in the last of us is fictional, so there aren't any solid facts as to how it gets spread. The spores might get burned out by sunlight, but they might have gotten into Joel's shirt, backpack, jacket etc. I doubt that they could go ineffective seconds after exposure. Hell, they  can't be that weak. Also, we don't know if the immunity runs into families, so the argument goes both ways (again, its fiction, we might just say that there is no such thing as the infection.) 

      About me contradicting myself with Joel's knowing about his immunity. My theory is absolutely FILLED with ifs and maybes, so yeah, I know that it might go back and forth.

      I wasn't talking about any test subjects. Ellie and Joel  were dragged into this by Marlene. Joel obviously doesn't care about curing the infection, he never wanted to waste his time with the Fireflies.  Even if it was a solid fact that he is immune(and knew it)  he would  kept this to himself.

      I would like to correct myself on one front- Listen Mode. Its a mechanic in multiplayer, and I haven't played it, so my opinion is worthless.

      "No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious." Sam was bitten. Bites spread the infection, that much is confirmed. In TLOU's universe its not common knowledge if the infection is spread by skin contact. I mean, ony Joel touches the runners, everyone else uses ranged weaponry, shivs and machetes. Bill, Tess, Sam and Henry all touched Ellie, but Bill had gloves and the rest died too quickly for us to know the results.

      I'm not expert on gas masks, but a wet filter doesn't sound like the best way to protect your body from infection. I'll let this one slide though, since we don't know what it takes to stop the airborne fungus. The mask might be filled with simple cloth. The primary reason for wearing it could be to protect the eyes (remember that guy at the beginning?)

      I have to point out that everything I wrote is speculation. It just sounds like a plausible  theory that fills some holes. I realise that its a huge game and not everything can fit together perfectly.

      I also adore this game. I love that there is so much discussion around it.Its also great that it achieves that without having a confusing or insane plot ( I'm looking at you, Bioshock Infinite.)

        Loading editor
    • @Riley Heligo, so they were like half human half infected?

        Loading editor
    • 180.253.112.239 wrote: @Riley Heligo, so they were like half human half infected?

      It's impossible to be half human, half infected...did you even read what I said?

        Loading editor
    • Mikey333 wrote:
      Winterlotus90 wrote:
      No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious. 

      then, is it the mutation that caused it spreadable by bites and scratches?

      Yeah I would assume so :P That's the most logical explanation. Or it hybridized with the flu or something. The infection in TLOU seems like a combination of rabies + fungal infection + flu.

        Loading editor
    • 188.126.22.69 wrote:
      I still stand by that theory.

      The infection in the last of us is fictional, so there aren't any solid facts as to how it gets spread. The spores might get burned out by sunlight, but they might have gotten into Joel's shirt, backpack, jacket etc. I doubt that they could go ineffective seconds after exposure. Hell, they  can't be that weak. Also, we don't know if the immunity runs into families, so the argument goes both ways (again, its fiction, we might just say that there is no such thing as the infection.) 

      About me contradicting myself with Joel's knowing about his immunity. My theory is absolutely FILLED with ifs and maybes, so yeah, I know that it might go back and forth.

      I wasn't talking about any test subjects. Ellie and Joel  were dragged into this by Marlene. Joel obviously doesn't care about curing the infection, he never wanted to waste his time with the Fireflies.  Even if it was a solid fact that he is immune(and knew it)  he would  kept this to himself.

      I would like to correct myself on one front- Listen Mode. Its a mechanic in multiplayer, and I haven't played it, so my opinion is worthless.

      "No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious." Sam was bitten. Bites spread the infection, that much is confirmed. In TLOU's universe its not common knowledge if the infection is spread by skin contact. I mean, ony Joel touches the runners, everyone else uses ranged weaponry, shivs and machetes. Bill, Tess, Sam and Henry all touched Ellie, but Bill had gloves and the rest died too quickly for us to know the results.

      I'm not expert on gas masks, but a wet filter doesn't sound like the best way to protect your body from infection. I'll let this one slide though, since we don't know what it takes to stop the airborne fungus. The mask might be filled with simple cloth. The primary reason for wearing it could be to protect the eyes (remember that guy at the beginning?)

      I have to point out that everything I wrote is speculation. It just sounds like a plausible  theory that fills some holes. I realise that its a huge game and not everything can fit together perfectly.

      I also adore this game. I love that there is so much discussion around it.Its also great that it achieves that without having a confusing or insane plot ( I'm looking at you, Bioshock Infinite.)

      Fair enough. If we go by video game logic then anything is possible. But I was trying to explain to people as to why Joel never turned. Because if he had spores all over him he didn't turn from them. So logically it must have been because he was exposed to UV light or the spores were away from their moist environment (i.e. they dried out). Interestingly enough, that's the case with rabies. Rabies is spread through saliva yes, but it CAN be transmitted through the air, though rare. The virus of rabies dies after it dries out (hits the air) and dies once it hits sunlight. So I was trying to explain a logical reason as to why Joel didn't turn since he had all these spores all over him. 

      Immunity isn't inheritable. In our non-fictional world, anyway. But for fun, let's say it is. What would Anna's significance be in the game? That she made Ellie immune? Aaaaand? How does that answer anything? 

      Again, what other immune person are you talking about? 

      I'm JUST SAYING that in the REAL WORLD fungal infections aren't contagious so the infection in the game is obviously mutated/hybridized. 

        Loading editor
    • @Riley Heligo, I definitely heard what you said.:{ 

        Loading editor
    • To whoever interested in immunities.

      There are antibodies that influences infant immunity from their parent as the first step of life but it is only short term for the child, it cant protect them beyond that. It's right to say immunity isnt inheritable.

      The innate immune system, also known as non-specific immune system and first line of defense,comprises the cells and mechanisms that defend the host from infection by other organisms in a non-specific manner. This means that the cells of the innate system recognize and respond to pathogens in a generic way, but unlike the adaptive immune system (which is only found in vertebrates), it does not confer long-lasting or protective immunity to the host. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innate_immune_system]

      Infants are born with relatively weak immune responses. They have, however, a natural "passive" immunity; they are protected during the first months of life by means of antibodies they receive from their mothers. The antibody IgG, which travels across the placenta, makes them immune to the same microbes to which their mothers are immune. [http://thyroid.about.com/library/immune/blimm16.htm]

      Immunity disorder however, is inherited.

      Primary immunodeficiencies are disorders in which part of the body's immune system is missing or does not function properly. To be considered a primary immunodeficiency, the cause of the immune deficiency must not be secondary in nature (i.e., caused by other disease, drug treatment, or environmental exposure to toxins). Most primary immunodeficiencies are genetic disorders; the majority are diagnosed in children under the age of one, although milder forms may not be recognized until adulthood. About 1 in 500 people is born with a primary immunodeficiency http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_immunodeficiency

      If you interested abt luck in immunity here is a real life example of a person who is born lucky with immunity to HIV http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mystery-of-aids-immunity-may-be-solved-2125675.html http://www.wickedlocal.com/truro/news/x1792911950/Truro-man-makes-unique-contribution-towards-AIDS-research  he also become test subject for producing vaccine as his immunity is very unique since the virus is alive but not progressing in his blood (similar situation with Ellie).

      EDIT: Trouble with links

        Loading editor
    • Wow, nice informations Mikey333!You just gave me some informations.

        Loading editor
    • The antibody IgG, which travels across the placenta, makes them immune to the same microbes to which their mothers are immune.


      So if Anna was immune to the infection, then Ellie would be too? Or no because since Ellie's immune system would be too weak at that point then it would attack her and kill her? Like, my mom caught parvo when she was pregnant with my brother. It gave her a few symptoms but nothing life threatening. However, it attacked my brother and he died 4 days after he was born. So maybe that would have been the case even IF Anna was immune. Because yeah, immunity isn't inheritable - it has to be developed with time. That's why breast-feeding for as long as possible after the baby is born is SO important. The colostrum in the breast milk contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, antibodies, etc. that help prepare the baby for the rest of its life. 

        Loading editor
    • No. Immunity isnt inherited. What you said abt immunity isnt inherited is right and these articles I've found are supporting your theories. Although there are some antibodies which gives influences to newborn infant immune but there are only for short time (not for lifetime), and apparently that doesnt really count as immunity.

      And if you open the full article that you've just quote from my post, it also mention something abt breastfeeding, directly after that line.

      'The antibody IgG, which travels across the placenta, makes them immune to the same microbes to which their mothers are immune. Children who are nursed also receive IgA from breast milk; it protects the digestive tract. http://thyroid.about.com/library/immune/blimm16.htm

      I'm not knowledgable in this scientific area, sorry. Just tried to help understanding abit more abt immunity. I dont know if the sources are trustable...

        Loading editor
    • PS. I'm sorry abt your brother...

        Loading editor
    • Thanks Mikey. Your information helped a lot :P

      Aww, thanks for the sentiments, Mikey. I wasn't even born yet when my brother died. He was older than me. I was born about a year and half after he died. It's still sad though regardless, so thanks. <3 

        Loading editor
    • I wonder if immunity was the right word for it. Her brain is infected with a mutated fungus. As far as I know, immunity is when the organism has built anti-bodies for a certain disease. If you're sick at the moment, then you can't get more ill(with the same type of infection) right?

      Her body doesn't stop the infection, it just mutates it. And that thrait might be inherrative.

        Loading editor
    • 188.126.22.69 wrote:
      And that thrait might be inherrative.

      I'd like to know any references to support that. Pls share if you have.

      Based on articles I've found, antibodies only available to the infant in first moments of life. If Anna is immune, Ellie will born immune but, only for several hours, days if lucky, weeks if luckier, or months if luckiest. It wont go beyond that, so it means Ellie will eventually turning maybe even before reaching half year old.

      What's inherited is actually the immunity disorder, which means if Anna is a person who is weak to cordyceps, Ellie is weak to them too.

        Loading editor
    • 188.126.22.69 wrote:
      I wonder if immunity was the right word for it. Her brain is infected with a mutated fungus. As far as I know, immunity is when the organism has built anti-bodies for a certain disease. If you're sick at the moment, then you can't get more ill(with the same type of infection) right?

      Her body doesn't stop the infection, it just mutates it. And that thrait might be inherrative.

      If you're sick with something you can't get MORE sick, that is correct.

      Well, a person with HIV has a mutation that allows the person to have it and spread it without developing symptoms. Having immunity to something though is not an inheritable trait. 

        Loading editor
    • No,,it's to bad but Joel is not immune.

        Loading editor
    • This is all really interesting. I don't think that ND intended for Joel to be immune, but A Wikia Contributor made some really sound arguments. You think the bloaters would spread the fungus, especially since Neil Druckmann originally wanted cordyceps trees that shot darts at people to infect them; so wouldn't the bloater's biology follow the same train of thought since the stages of infection were meant to be organic?

      Joel gets scratched a lot too, so you think that clicker blood would get in his wounds at some point. Again, I think that these are all just tiny holes in the story, which I don't blame anyone for, but there is a possibility that Joel is infected with a strain like Ellie's. I'm not a huge prescriber to the whole "if the developers say that's not true, then it isn't true" philosophy-- ND even said that they want to encourage diverse interpretations, so kudos.

        Loading editor
    • Plot twist: 16 years ago in the Boston quaratine zone, a guy named Joel met a gal named Anna. 15 years ago, Ellie was born.


      what do you think? ;)

        Loading editor
    • With this game you never know , like  Ellie  it could go either way .   .< ^ >  

        Loading editor
    • Even though it's highly unlikely, there's nothing in the game itself that contradicts Joel being immune. If a sequel comes, that actually would be a cool plot twist.

        Loading editor
    • Interesting theory

        Loading editor
    • I will not like it if ND decide to make Joel immune, that will be kind of stupid. :) Hey if Joel knew he was immune, wouldn't Joel attacked the solider when being scan like Ellie did, right? :)
      
        Loading editor
    • Lol, oh my God so many ideas. What if Joel isn't the person we really think he is. I can't really specifiy, but  what if he's actually hiding something. Like, he actually knows the truth about there being other immune people...and it's all because Tommy was a firefly and such. 

      WAH. Lol, I know none of it is true. but that'd be a major plot twist. It gets you speculating.

        Loading editor
    • 68.19.19.96 wrote:
      I will not like it if ND decide to make Joel immune, that will be kind of stupid. :) Hey if Joel knew he was immune, wouldn't Joel attacked the solider when being scan like Ellie did, right? :)

      Ellie came up as infected because she was bitten, not because she was immune. Joel could still be immune, even though he didn't show up as infected.

        Loading editor
    • 74.103.90.217 wrote:
      68.19.19.96 wrote:
      I will not like it if ND decide to make Joel immune, that will be kind of stupid. :) Hey if Joel knew he was immune, wouldn't Joel attacked the solider when being scan like Ellie did, right? :)
      Ellie came up as infected because she was bitten, not because she was immune. Joel could still be immune, even though he didn't show up as infected.

      True. Because he was never bitten to prove it by scanner. However, I don't think he's immune. It would be interesting though and definately an interesting way to start a sequel because Joel would have been telling Ellie the truth that there are more immune just like her although at the time he didn't know. Then they go on a journey together to save the world minus going to the Fireflies.

        Loading editor
    • ^ That would seem kind of cheap though...

        Loading editor
    • Yeah I know :P

        Loading editor
    • ^ If done right, it'd be kinda cool, but I don't see it happening

        Loading editor
    • Klock101
      Klock101 removed this reply because:
      Spam
      13:25, April 6, 2014
      This reply has been removed
    • A bad dream with Riley awakens Ellie in the middle of the night. She sits at the edge of her bed going over what had happened countless times. Trying to come to terms with it. She realizes that Joel was doing what any normal father-figure would do in a situation like that. She knows he lied to her and at first, she was okay with it. She accepted it. But she can't help but feel responsible for holding the world's only known answer for hope and salvation.

      "I have to go.. And I hope he understands.." She says as she decides to leave Joel in the middle of night.

      She writes a letter saying: "Dear Joel, Thank you for everything. But, the guilt is eating me alive. I know you said it will get better. And I know you said that you find something to fight for but.. this is it. I want to fight for this. I'm sorry you don't understand. But, I have to go. You have taught me a lot. And I love you. I'll make you proud. - Ellie." 

      The next morning Joel wakes up to read her note. The letter falls from his hands and he stumbles backward onto his bed, clasping his face into his hands. Tears roll down his face as he prepares to go after her. He packs his guns, puts on his boots and jacket. 

      "Where are you going, brother?" yells Tommy.

      "Ellie.. she's gone." Joel says winded as he throws his gun sack up on the horse.

      "Oh no.. I'll go with you." Tommy insists.

      "No Tommy.. I don't need to lose you too. She couldn't have gotten far. I'll be back soon. I know she's heading to Salt Lake City." Joel jumps onto the horse. 

      Suddenly, screams and gun shots are heard within the town. 

      "Maria!" Tommy takes off running after his wife.

      Joel jumps off of the horse, unzips the gun bag, grabs a shot gun and runs after Tommy.

      Ellie, now several miles away, hears the gun shots. 

      "What the hell?" She stands up and listens for the direction in which it came. The forest around her is still. 

      "Oh my God.. Joel." She fears that it's Tommy's town, grabs her backpack and begins to run back.

      At the town, the Infected have found a way inside. Maria is found locked in the control room under the desk screaming as a Clicker is making its way through the window. Tommy shoots it in the head with a shot gun and the Clicker collapses and writhes on the ground. Tommy opens the door and pulls Maria up into his arms. 

      "Take her into one of the houses. Encourage everyone to stay inside and to lock their doors." Joel tells Tommy.

      "I'll meet you back here, come on Maria." Tommy takes her away.

      Joel runs upstairs to find the other turbine workers firing into a hoard of Infected. Clickers and Stalkers coming in through every entrance. A man suddenly comes up from behind Joel, choking him and leans him back over the railing. It's a bandit.

      "Time for your people to leave. This is our sanctuary now, asshole." The bandit said. The bandits had allowed the Infected to infiltrate the town. 

      Joel struggles, gasping for air. The bandit pushes him over the side into a group of Infected below. They claw and scratch at him and a Clicker grabs ahold of Joel's shoulder and bites. 

      "Shit! God damnit!" Joel says and manages to get ahold of a pistol he had forgotten was in his back pocket. He shoots the Clicker off of his shoulder and shoots at the others clawing him all over. He takes out five Infected before he regains his footing, leaning on the railing for support. He looks up to see the bandit that had pushed him over the railing now fending off the turbine workers. He points his pistol at the underside of his jaw, and fires. The bandit collapses to the ground.

      Unbeknownst to Joel a Clicker makes its way up behind him. Joel collapses on the ground from the severe pain and weakness from bleeding out. 

      BAM. Joel shudders thinking he had been shot. The Clicker collapses to the ground next to him, reaching out to him in its final moment before it dies. Joel turns to look at who saved him.

      "Oh my God.. Jo-el..." Ellie's voice cracks at the realization that he had been bit.

      "Ellie.. " Joel strains to say.

      "Joel I'm sorry for leaving. Had I been here.. " Ellie fights back tears to say.

      "Ellie, we need to go" he says trying to stand up, using a guard rail for support. 

      Ellie grabs his injured arm and puts it around her waist as her other arm supports his back as they make their way back into the town. Ellie uses her free hand to shoot at Infected coming their way. A bandit suddenly grabs Ellie by the back of her neck and yanks her to the ground. He stands over her with a pistol aimed at her. 

      Joel collapses without the support and looks up to notice the bandit hovering over Ellie. 

      "Don't.. " Joel chokes out.

      BAM! The bandit collapses. 

      "Joel! You alright, brother!?" Tommy picks him up supporting him under his arm.

      "Tommy.. he's been bit. He's not going to make it.. What do we do?" Ellie cries out panicked.

      "First things first, we need to get him back to town to stop the bleeding. The Infected have been taken out, and we have a line of defense in place taking care of the assholes that let the Infected inside. Damn bandits." Tommy explains.

      Ellie, Tommy, and Joel make their way to the infirmary of the town, dead infected and bandits line the streets. 

      "Ellie, you need to step out. We need to clean him up." Tommy says, as the nurses behind to take off Joel's shirt. 

      She walks out somberly and sits outside the door. 

      Tommy comes out about an hour later. 

      "Well he's stable. The bite wound on his neck didn't hit any main arteries. The scratches are deep but not life-threatening. He's unconscious from the blood loss. We've replaced the blood loss but.. we're thinkin' he's unconscious because of the disease now in his body. It's been an hour and he hasn't turned. But from what we know it can take up to a day but usually it happens within the first 12 hours. Ellie you need to prepare for it. And when it happens we.. have to end it."

      "I know.. Tommy, I feel so bad for leaving.." Ellie cries while saying. 

      "Ellie.. " he wraps his arm around her, "don't blame yourself. In the world today, we can't predict what's going to happen from one day to the next. You think you're safe and then.. you're blindsided. We would have been safe had the bandits not found a way inside. And Joel wouldn't have wanted you here when all of this went down." Ellie cries into Tommy's arm.

      The nurse comes outside to update Tommy. No sign of changing yet. 

      "Can I sit next to him? Please" Ellie asks. "I'm immune. I can't be Infected." 

      The nurse reluctantly agrees.

      Ellie enters the room to see Joel lying on an ordinary bed. The room make shift to represent a hospital room. Joels arms are tied to the bed frame at his sides. 

      Tommy pulls up a chair for Ellie. "I'll leave you two alone for a bit. When he starts to change, just holler. We won't be too far." Ellie nods. Tommy and the nurse leave the room.

      Ellie reaches out and holds Joels hand. 

      "Joel?.. Dad.. I'm so sorry that you're hurt.. I wish I had been here.. I'm sorry for leaving. I know you lost Sarah and.. it must have really been scary for you to find that I was gone. I just want to do what is right. I knew you wouldn't have let me go on my own if I told you. So.. I decided not to tell you. I had to leave. I'm haunted every day by Riley's death. And I wasn't feeling better. But.. now all I can think about is the guilt of leaving you. And now you're bit. I'm going to lose someone else I truly care about.. And this time, it's truly my fault.. I am so sorry Joel.. I don't want to leave any more. I just want to be here with you.." Ellie leans over and cries into his hand. 

      Ellie cries herself to sleep leaning over onto Joel's bed. Tommy is sitting on the floor up against the wall asleep. Joel's fingers twitch below Ellie's face which startles her awake. She sits up and looks at Joel's face.

      "Joel?.." 

      Ellie turns and looks at the clock behind her. It's been twenty six hours. Joel's breathing is very shallow but his head begins to move slightly. Gurgling sounds can be heard.

      Tommy awakes to find Ellie hovering over Joel with her hand on his hair. He notices his feet moving. 

      "Ellie!" Tommy stands up and pulls her back. They both watch and wait.

      Joel opens his eyes slightly, "Ell..ie?.." he mumbles. Joel begins to choke and gasp for air. A nurse rushes in and halts then asks Tommy, "has he changed?" 

      "N..no. I don't think so. He just said Ellie's name." Tommy stammers.

      The confused nurse cautiously approaches Joel and cuts off his hand restraints. Joel leans over the side of his bed, coughing up phlegm and some blood. 

      "Joel!" Ellie pulls out of Tommy's grip and rushes to him. She turns to the nurse and Tommy and asks, "Why isn't he turning? It's been twenty-six hours."

      The nurse and Tommy look at each other confused. "We don't know Ellie.." Tommy says to her. "We'll continue to keep an eye on him." The nurse said. 

      "Ellie we need to let Joel rest. We're not sure what's going on but you need to get some food and go rest." Tommy walks Ellie toward the door. She looks back at him, reluctant to leave, but hopeful and leaves with Tommy. 

        Loading editor
    • (I have to go to work but I'll finish it tomorrow; hope it's not lame)

        Loading editor
    • ^This is really good.:) You should put this on the TLOU fanfiction website. BTW  I always wandering why can't the bandits just ask Tommy and Maria can they live in the dam. But I guess they just love killing.

        Loading editor
    • Sorry, I wasn't logged in. I wrote it. I realize that I'm not a great story teller but the message is there lol. Where is TLOU fanfiction website? I am unaware of this. The bandits don't ask to live there because just like in the main campaign when they attacked, they want what they want. They don't want to share. They're just horrible people.

        Loading editor
    • Winterlotus90 wrote:
      Sorry, I wasn't logged in. I wrote it. I realize that I'm not a great story teller but the message is there lol. Where is TLOU fanfiction website? I am unaware of this. The bandits don't ask to live there because just like in the main campaign when they attacked, they want what they want. They don't want to share. They're just horrible people.

      Here it is: http://thelastofusfanon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_of_Us_Fanon_Wiki Thank you Fireburn!

        Loading editor
    • ^ I meant this website: https://fanfiction.net.:) They has some really good TLOU stories in there. @Winterlotus92, I am not a writer so I don't know how you put your story in there. Sorry :(

        Loading editor
    • ^If ND needs a good story for the sequel, I actually personally think it should follow the lines of what Winterlotus wrote. Great writing, by the way!

        Loading editor
    • 74.103.90.217 wrote:
      ^If ND needs a good story for the sequel, I actually personally think it should follow the lines of what Winterlotus wrote. Great writing, by the way!

      Dawwe thanks. 

        Loading editor
    • I LOVE JOEL HE'S ALESOME

        Loading editor
    • I'll be honest, if Joel is immune... then, well shit.

      I love it.

        Loading editor
    • But I think a more realistic approach is if he turned. It would make the sequel's opening worthy of a title like "The Last of Our Kind"

        Loading editor
    • ^That would truly bring the emotional impact a TLoU sequel would deserve. I'm impressed.

        Loading editor
    • Or maybe the infection can only be spready by bite.

        Loading editor
    • Good theory, but in the scene where Joel, Tess, and Ellie get held up by the two soldiers, Joel gets scanned and is revealed to be clean.

        Loading editor
    • 98.67.183.150 wrote:
      ^ I meant this website: https://fanfiction.net.:) They has some really good TLOU stories in there. @Winterlotus92, I am not a writer so I don't know how you put your story in there. Sorry :(

      HEYY! It's winterlotus90 not 92. lol..

        Loading editor
    • ^ OH SORRY!!! :D

        Loading editor
    • If you are going to compare listening mode, in that case the Hunters and Fireflies are immune too, so why dose'nt Marlene use one of her own men instead of the person she cares about the most. Not to be all talk, I just wish to make a point, the other views on the matter are okay though.

        Loading editor
    • It would be the ultimate final irony, wouldn't it? What if Joel told Ellie the truth and no-one knew it, not even Marlene?

      That Immunes were actually not uncommon; that he had been part of attempts by FEDRA in the early stages of  the Outbreak to make their Immunity into something that could be used as a cure or a vacceine... and "it didn't do nobody no damn good", to quote the man himself.

      It could lead to a heartbreaking scene with Elie when he hands her his journal (hidden at the bottom of his backpack) with all the details of the experiments he'd witnessed as the maintenance guy at the Austin QZ. "I'd hoped that Marlene's guys had come up with something new but... Nothin'. Same dumb mistakes and snuffing out the few people who could maybe survive this in the name of vain hope."

      "You keep finding things to fight for, Baby Girl. For you, that's makin' all those deaths mean something by livin'... By livin' and passing on the miracle to those that come afer you."

        Loading editor
    • from what I see Joel's mask is broken when he puts it on. It only has one of the blue things. I think he dosnt know he is immune. I am probably wrong but that was my observation.

        Loading editor
    • 104.229.209.86 wrote:
      from what I see Joel's mask is broken when he puts it on. It only has one of the blue things. I think he dosnt know he is immune. I am probably wrong but that was my observation.


      Not all gas masks are symmetrical in design.

        Loading editor
    • 104.229.209.86 wrote: from what I see Joel's mask is broken when he puts it on. It only has one of the blue things. I think he dosnt know he is immune. I am probably wrong but that was my observation.

      He is wearing what appears to be a s10 NBC respirator which is British, while everyone else might be wearing M40 field protective mask which is American.

        Loading editor
    • just so you know I will repeat what was, is, and will be said. Joel is not immune. Bloater spores look different than normal spores. Tess is able to touch a cocooned clicker and the filter on his mask; well the other filter is just a backup. he must have run out of backups and has one filter left. So lonng story short JOEL IS NOT IMMUNE.

        Loading editor
    • Didn't feel like reading everything but the force of punching someone does not equal that of touching something... It is a lot stronger. When punching someone in the face you could break bones in your hands if your wrist isn't angled correctly. Or in this case punching something hard as Joel does multiple times he should break his hands or get infected wounds all over his knuckles. And bites are contagious in the game, so in theory the blood of an infected or any bodyfluid getting into the blood of an noninfected should have the same result.

        Loading editor
    • 85.227.130.133 wrote:
      Didn't feel like reading everything but the force of punching someone does not equal that of touching something... It is a lot stronger. When punching someone in the face you could break bones in your hands if your wrist isn't angled correctly. Or in this case punching something hard as Joel does multiple times he should break his hands or get infected wounds all over his knuckles. And bites are contagious in the game, so in theory the blood of an infected or any bodyfluid getting into the blood of an noninfected should have the same result.

      Oh come on. It's a game. It serves no narrative purpose whatsoever, and there's no actual evidence that he's immune. Every zombie game involves characters fighting infected whatevers in a way that, realistically, would expose them to infection (people getting covered in blood, guts, and coming into close contact.) But they DON'T get infected from doing these things (until the plot calls for it- sometimes it is frustratingly inconsistent), because it's a game, and you're supposed to just suspend your disbelief.

      Plus, the variable aspects of combat in games aren't canon, kind of similar to "game over" events. You could technically go the whole game without ever punching out an infected enemy. It's not actually a part of the narrative.

        Loading editor
    • I think that the point to remember is that Cordyceps isn't that contagious. It's only dangerous if the spores get across the skin barrier, either through infected bites or through inhaling. If it could infect through skin-to-skin contact, no-one would survive contact with spores unless they were wearing NBC suits!

        Loading editor
    • Oh come on. It's a game. It serves no narrative purpose whatsoever

      ...since when do games not have a narrative? Do you know what narrative means? I do agree with the rest of your post though.

      My two cents: the game is very ambiguous as to how the infection spreads. You can be covered in bruises and cuts and have an infected drooling and clawing all over you and you'll be fine; but if you get bit then you're screwed. The breathing spores thing is very shoddily enforced: you can literally put on your mask two feet away from them and you're guaranteed to be fine, and take it off before you even step out of spore-infected zones and still be ok. Examining the specifics of infection is a waste of time IMO.

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:

      Oh come on. It's a game. It serves no narrative purpose whatsoever

      ...since when do games not have a narrative? Do you know what narrative means? I do agree with the rest of your post though.

      Um, yes, I do? I'm saying that it would serve no real purpose to the story for Joel to secretly have been immune the whole time.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not saying that it serves a narrative purpose for Joel to be immune. I'm saying that just because a game is a game doesn't mean it magically doesn't have a narrative.

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:
      I'm not saying that it serves a narrative purpose for Joel to be immune. I'm saying that just because a game is a game doesn't mean it magically doesn't have a narrative.

      I never said that games don't have narratives. Why would I even argue that? If I'm referring to things like "suspension of disbelief," "plot" and things being "separate from the narrative" (which, how would I even say that if I thought a narrative were absent entirely?) then I honestly don't really get how you would conclude that I'm somehow arguing that a narrative is absent. That's not what I was saying.

        Loading editor
    • I think I misunderstood what you typed, I'm sorry.

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:
      I think I misunderstood what you typed, I'm sorry.

      No problem. These things happen!

        Loading editor
    • I know I am new to this post considering I have yet to even make an account yet however i do believe that Joel is in fact immune to the mutation however he does not know that he is but the reason i believe this is something that is commonly overlooked. You see when you wear a respirator you have to make sure there is a tight seal between your face and the mask because things like dirt and FACIAL HAIR tend to break the seal and let contaminates in, so its very possible since he never shaved his beard that every time he has passed though areas with spores he was breathing trace amounts in every time. Now im not sure if he built up a tolerance to it by letting his body fight off tiny amounts of it or if hes just plain out immune. Also i know that when hes scanned it shows up negative but with Ellie it shows her as infected however when you look at things like the bubonic plague there were people that were immune to it because of a genetic mix up, but they both worked differently, one would show symptoms of the plague and then after a short time it would die in there system and they would be fine again ( Ellies case) , and the other case which never got sick no matter how exposed to the virus they got (possibly Joels case), however its all just a theory but could be used in fan fiction or possibly The last of us 2 

        Loading editor
    • ^ I honestly don't think we're meant to assume Joel is immune in any way. Like there's no canon evidence to suggest that Joel's preventative measures from getting infected fail in any way to indicate that he's immune. I think the only real way to know for sure is to 1.) either be exposed to a great amount of spores or 2.) be bitten. And Joel's not going to, nor has, taken that risk. And Ellie never shows symptoms. She just has it in her body. Showing symptoms would indicate that the body is responding to and fighting it off, but Ellie's body isn't even doing that. I see what you're saying though because Joel has been exposed to spores - logically, it's pretty impossible not to be exposed to trace amounts of it given the fact that most of the world is infected and giving off spores. But I don't think that indicates he's immune. Or that anyone currently alive in the game is immune just because they've been exposed to trace amounts of it. 

        Loading editor
    • What about Joel getting slapped at the downtown area of the game when the first (live) Clicker appeared? Maybe he got scratched at the same time?

        Loading editor
    • Also we don't know that if during the prologue he got infected. I mean he ran into a lot of Runners and he could have gotten scratched by them at any point at any time.

        Loading editor
    • Hello there all of you contributors. This is my theory on the subject as well as other subjects.

      The theory about Joel being immune could be plausible. Unlike most of the comments I read about the subject, not a single one of them mentioned the Prologue chapter of the game. This is where I believe should be looked at because there are two instances where Joel could have been infected/gotten his immunity, and one where Tommy could have been infected/gotten his immunity. The first instance is after Joel kicked the window out after the car crash, when he was attacked by a Runner. He could have gotten scratched and didn't notice it before Tommy slammed the brick into its face. The second instance is when Joel entered the alley way with Sarah in his arms when they were again ambushed by an infected, both he and Sarah could have gotten scratched before Tommy shot the infected. The last instance for Tommy is when he was holding the door thus holding the infected off of Joel and Sarah, some of the infected were able to get some of themselves into the room he was in and could have scratched him. The thing for Sarah getting scratched possibly, still just speculation, does not matter because 2-4 minutes later she dies anyways. This is my theory on this matter.

      The other thing I wanted to talk about is another speculation I'm wanting to address. The spores thing. I believe that you can come into contact with the spores and not get infected as long as it is not prolonged exposure to them. My theory is that you can survive the spore for as long as 2-4 minutes before getting infected. This reason being the first person Joel killed, the guy in the first spore area the character finds that had something clasp on him, having had his gas mask broken and he was not infected immediately.

      So what do you guys think of my thinking?

        Loading editor
    • AnonSBA wrote:

      The other thing I wanted to talk about is another speculation I'm wanting to address. The spores thing. I believe that you can come into contact with the spores and not get infected as long as it is not prolonged exposure to them. My theory is that you can survive the spore for as long as 2-4 minutes before getting infected. This reason being the first person Joel killed, the guy in the first spore area the character finds that had something clasp on him, having had his gas mask broken and he was not infected immediately.

      So what do you guys think of my thinking?

      It doesn't work - The spores don't cause instantaneous change; nothing does. The game is clear that a person turns in a period of between a few hours and two days. So, that guy trapped in the collapse could have been there for hours without turning.

      Spores are infectious only if they get into the blood stream, either through a bite (saliva-to-blood transmission) or through breathing (going through the air/blood membrane in the alveoli in the lungs). Avoid those and, as we see in the games, you'll be fine.

        Loading editor
    • That was not what I meant, what I meant was that after 2-4 minutes you'll get the infection in you, it will still take time to turn but you still need the infection to be able to turn. The guy was most likely there for at least 3 minutes based on the voice he spoke in, he sounded like he has both been out of breath and stuck under there for some time.

        Loading editor
    • The wiki logged me out for some reason?

        Loading editor
    • 24.196.15.208 wrote:
      That was not what I meant, what I meant was that after 2-4 minutes you'll get the infection in you, it will still take time to turn but you still need the infection to be able to turn.

      That still doesn't work; nothing in the game even hints that there is a 'safe time' for being in a cloud of spores. If there was, Joel would only have started realising that Ellie really was immune until later into the Boston Metro map.

        Loading editor
    • True but I was just speculating.

        Loading editor
    • To the people who actually think he could be immune, I ask this: how does it serve the story that they are telling for Joel to not only be immune, but for the writers to then not even address said immunity at any time in the actual story? What would be the point of them doing that? Even a mildly skilled writer is not going to just "hide" a huge detail like that from people. That's not how people write stories.

        Loading editor
    • I believe, it is possible, but not confirmed.

        Loading editor
    • Funny thinking in here!

      I personally goes with the statement: If it's not mentioned in the Story, it's not there. That doesn't serve the story at all.

      Abt the hearing sense: Off course it's a game modification! Or why don't we have it in survivial mode?

      I start to think, that blood isn't infactious at all. In the game it's not a big fun to start over again, everytime you knock your knuckles bloody by hitting a Runner. Not including a fistfight would be the other way - but as in 28 Days later: just one drop and you're infected would be a difficult gameplay. Even if you shoot an infected, blood drops will hit you most of the time.

      In the whole game I can't decide by myself to put the gasmask on. It's skripted like the bitten Tess or the fall from the balcony. Why they don't added a short animation, like swift your clothes after leaving the sporefilled area is a question, sure. I just think: ND thought it wouldn't be needed - and it's more work as well.

      This game is so realistic, that we forget the things, that are there for gameplay. I never asked myself, why the here discussed things are as they are. It's ignored by ND for the fun in the gameplay and so do I. I just go on the journey with Ellie and save her everytime again in this great game. It makes no sense for Joel being immune in this story. No sense at all.

      ~A TLoU Fan~

        Loading editor
    • 188.126.22.69 wrote:
      I still stand by that theory.

      The infection in the last of us is fictional, so there aren't any solid facts as to how it gets spread. The spores might get burned out by sunlight, but they might have gotten into Joel's shirt, backpack, jacket etc. I doubt that they could go ineffective seconds after exposure. Hell, they  can't be that weak. Also, we don't know if the immunity runs into families, so the argument goes both ways (again, its fiction, we might just say that there is no such thing as the infection.) 

      About me contradicting myself with Joel's knowing about his immunity. My theory is absolutely FILLED with ifs and maybes, so yeah, I know that it might go back and forth.

      I wasn't talking about any test subjects. Ellie and Joel  were dragged into this by Marlene. Joel obviously doesn't care about curing the infection, he never wanted to waste his time with the Fireflies.  Even if it was a solid fact that he is immune(and knew it)  he would  kept this to himself.

      I would like to correct myself on one front- Listen Mode. Its a mechanic in multiplayer, and I haven't played it, so my opinion is worthless.

      "No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious." Sam was bitten. Bites spread the infection, that much is confirmed. In TLOU's universe its not common knowledge if the infection is spread by skin contact. I mean, ony Joel touches the runners, everyone else uses ranged weaponry, shivs and machetes. Bill, Tess, Sam and Henry all touched Ellie, but Bill had gloves and the rest died too quickly for us to know the results.

      I'm not expert on gas masks, but a wet filter doesn't sound like the best way to protect your body from infection. I'll let this one slide though, since we don't know what it takes to stop the airborne fungus. The mask might be filled with simple cloth. The primary reason for wearing it could be to protect the eyes (remember that guy at the beginning?)

      I have to point out that everything I wrote is speculation. It just sounds like a plausible  theory that fills some holes. I realise that its a huge game and not everything can fit together perfectly.

      I also adore this game. I love that there is so much discussion around it.Its also great that it achieves that without having a confusing or insane plot ( I'm looking at you, Bioshock Infinite.)



      actually, the infection is called cordyceps which is an actual fungus


        Loading editor
    • You know when a hunter grabs Ellie she can get away by BITING him. I mean let's see what happens?

        Loading editor
    • 166.137.126.56 wrote:
      You know when a hunter grabs Ellie she can get away by BITING him. I mean let's see what happens?

      Joel caved his head in a few seconds later.

      However, it is one of the clues that Ellie having a communicable infection was not something Naughty Dog wanted to address in the game. As it was a cut scene, it would have been easy for them to have him knocked out and, later on, when you're listening to the Hunters in the Financial District, one of them mentions that one of the 'highway crew' had Turned and no-one knew how an Infected had got into that part of town. There is no explicit link to Ellie but the player is left thinking.

      The fact that they didn't do something like that indicates that Neil and the rest didn't want to address the issue.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      166.137.126.56 wrote:
      You know when a hunter grabs Ellie she can get away by BITING him. I mean let's see what happens?
      Joel caved his head in a few seconds later.

      However, it is one of the clues that Ellie having a communicable infection was not something Naughty Dog wanted to address in the game. As it was a cut scene, it would have been easy for them to have him knocked out and, later on, when you're listening to the Hunters in the Financial District, one of them mentions that one of the 'highway crew' had Turned and no-one knew how an Infected had got into that part of town. There is no explicit link to Ellie but the player is left thinking.

      The fact that they didn't do something like that indicates that Neil and the rest didn't want to address the issue.

      I think that's a bit of a stretch. TLOU was never even planned to have a sequel- it was written as a one-off story. They were skeptical that with its darker tone, it may not even be that well received (compared to the much lighter and more commercial Uncharted series.) Early on, ND was very clear that TLOU was the end of Ellie and Joel's story. It wasn't until the massive commercial and critical success that they atrted to go, "gawd okay guys maybe we'll make a sequel..." So, point being, why would they leave out something that important when they weren't planning on extending the story beyond what they'd already written?

        Loading editor
    • Like you said, they weren't expecting it to be so successful that they actually were facing demands to postpone Uncharted 4 in favour of TLoU2. So they probably weren't going to spend a huge amount of time, effort and resources tying off every single narrative loose end because they honestly expected that no-one would care. Instead, the got themselves an obsessive fandom that is tearing apart every single character moment, scene and word of dialogue for clues of deeper meanings! ;-)

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      Like you said, they weren't expecting it to be so successful that they actually were facing demands to postpone Uncharted 4 in favour of TLoU2. So they probably weren't going to spend a huge amount of time, effort and resources tying off every single narrative loose end because they honestly expected that no-one would care. Instead, the got themselves an obsessive fandom that is tearing apart every single character moment, scene and word of dialogue for clues of deeper meanings! ;-)

      But they're not avoiding the issue- they pretty majorly acknowledge it when Ellie bites David and uses that to get away. Then, when you're in the restaurant, David calls her on her bluff. His first line there is "how did you do it?" followed by "I know you're not infected. No one who's infected fights this hard to stay alive." If they were truly "saving it" for a future title then why even put that thought in players minds?

      Also, Ellie's scar is three weeks old when Joel and Tess are escorting her- do you really think that the fireflies at no point made sure she was not infectious before welcoming her? That Ellie herself wouldn't be concerned with that?

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:
      BenRG wrote:
      Like you said, they weren't expecting it to be so successful that they actually were facing demands to postpone Uncharted 4 in favour of TLoU2. So they probably weren't going to spend a huge amount of time, effort and resources tying off every single narrative loose end because they honestly expected that no-one would care. Instead, the got themselves an obsessive fandom that is tearing apart every single character moment, scene and word of dialogue for clues of deeper meanings! ;-)
      But they're not avoiding the issue- they pretty majorly acknowledge it when Ellie bites David and uses that to get away. Then, when you're in the restaurant, David calls her on her bluff. His first line there is "how did you do it?" followed by "I know you're not infected. No one who's infected fights this hard to stay alive." If they were truly "saving it" for a future title then why even put that thought in players minds?

      Also, Ellie's scar is three weeks old when Joel and Tess are escorting her- do you really think that the fireflies at no point made sure she was not infectious before welcoming her? That Ellie herself wouldn't be concerned with that?

      You misundersnd me. I'm not saying that they're avoiding the issue; I'm saying that it was not important enough to justify spending time addressing it in any depth because there was no planned narrative element that would focus on the issue. They were telling a story and, sometimes, when telling stories, you have to choose not to address certain issues, no matter how interesting, because they interrupt the flow of the narrative. This is especially the case with an interactive movie like TLoU.

      Of course, David doesn't understand the real nature of what happened to Ellie; he's just making a set of assumptions about her behaviour based on irrelevant past expereince and is using that to try to manipulate her. He isn't concered about being infected because, of course, he doesn't think that she's infected (which she is) and thus contagious (which is the issue under debate).

      As for the Fireflies, I think that they made sure that she wouldn't turn. Beyond that, I doubt that they had the knowledge or resources to test anything else. After she didn't turn into a Runner after a week, that was all they wanted to know.

      Remember, passing infection without airborne spores is pretty hard so unless there was a specific event where Ellie bit someone hard enough to draw blood, it is unlikely that anyone would necessarily have thought of it.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:

      You misundersnd me. I'm not saying that they're avoiding the issue; I'm saying that it was not important enough to justify spending time addressing it in any depth because there was no planned narrative element that would focus on the issue. They were telling a story and, sometimes, when telling stories, you have to choose not to address certain issues, no matter how interesting, because they interrupt the flow of the narrative. This is especially the case with an interactive movie like TLoU.

      Of course, David doesn't understand the real nature of what happened to Ellie; he's just making a set of assumptions about her behaviour based on irrelevant past expereince and is using that to try to manipulate her. He isn't concered about being infected because, of course, he doesn't think that she's infected (which she is) and thus contagious (which is the issue under debate).

      But it isn't just a fun little detail. It carries huge implications for Ellie whether or not she can infect other people. It could mean she's essentially cursed to live in fear for the rest of her life of living through the terror of watching those around her die, while she remains immune. She can never get too close to another person. It makes her life MUCH more tragic, and makes Joel "stealing" that decision from her all the worse.

      David would have known if he was infected by that point though. When Tess gets infected, she makes a point to Joel "Look! I was bitten an hour ago and [my bite] is already worse [than Ellie's scar]" and Ellie's scar looks pretty jacked. David would have just been able to look at his wound and know he was infected by that point if he really had been.

      "Remember, passing infection without airborne spores is pretty hard so unless there was a specific event where Ellie bit someone hard enough to draw blood, it is unlikely that anyone would necessarily have thought of it."

      When is it ever stated that that is a parameter of this fictional disease? I'm talking in-game, not your own assumptions. There are monkeys in the science lab that aren't "infected" but they are carriers, and one of them bites the scientist and infects him. Then Joel says "good thing we stayed away from those monkeys." They're still a danger. Ellie bites enemies (hard) when they grab her all the time, and you can run away without killing them. Are we to assume they all ended up turning?

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:

      "Remember, passing infection without airborne spores is pretty hard so unless there was a specific event where Ellie bit someone hard enough to draw blood, it is unlikely that anyone would necessarily have thought of it."

      When is it ever stated that that is a parameter of this fictional disease? I'm talking in-game, not your own assumptions. There are monkeys in the science lab that aren't "infected" but they are carriers, and one of them bites the scientist and infects him. Then Joel says "good thing we stayed away from those monkeys." They're still a danger. Ellie bites enemies (hard) when they grab her all the time, and you can run away without killing them. Are we to assume they all ended up turning?

      In-game, inside the Boston skyscraper. Joel was scratched by a Clicker bad enough that it took a chunk out of his HP bar. No-one even questioned if he was infected once.

      In-game, after Bill's rescue and he's confirming Joel isn't infected. He only asks if he has any bites.

      In-game, in the Boston subway station; Joel is shocked that Ellie is breathing spores without a hint of problems.

      In-game, in the East Tunnel, Tess is worried of the slightest crack in Joel's mask because spores are that infectious.

      Do you want any more?

      Onto the question of Ellie's bites - We don't know if those guys ever turned. It was never specified one way or the other, so it is entirely up to the player's discretion how they view the outcome. That's the point that I'm making. It wasn't important enough for Naughty Dog to confirm or deny.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:

      In-game, inside the Boston skyscraper. Joel was scratched by a Clicker bad enough that it took a chunk out of his HP bar. No-one even questioned if he was infected once.

      In-game, after Bill's rescue and he's confirming Joel isn't infected. He only asks if he has any bites.

      In-game, in the Boston subway station; Joel is shocked that Ellie is breathing spores without a hint of problems.

      In-game, in the East Tunnel, Tess is worried of the slightest crack in Joel's mask because spores are that infectious.

      Do you want any more?

      Onto the question of Ellie's bites - We don't know if those guys ever turned. It was never specified one way or the other, so it is entirely up to the player's discretion how they view the outcome. That's the point that I'm making. It wasn't important enough for Naughty Dog to confirm or deny.

      Excuse me? No need to be a douche. That's not what I was saying. Where did I ever suggest that spores weren't infectious? Of course they are. You were saying that "passing the infection without airborne spores is pretty hard." How do your examples really back that up? Everyone who gets infected in-game gets that way through bites or scratches. Not through merely breathing in spores. So, seems like it happens relatively easily.

      Combat that happens outside of cutscenes isn't strictly "canonical" in that it's all variable anyway. It's just a game mechanic that you don't automatically die/get infected everytime you punch a runner or take any damage from infected. Otherwise, there would be no way to lose HP. But then in a cutscene someone gets some weaksauce scratch and it's all "oh no! I'm infected!" It's the assumption every zombie game has to make, or else they would be really, really annoying to play in that you'd constantly be getting a game over.

      Can you address the other half of my comment? Because I'm making the argument that at the very least, the David incident could very well be them addressing it in the story, and that that's their way of confirming that she can't infect others.

        Loading editor
    • At the most, the scenes with David mean that he doesn't think that she's infectious to the best of his knowledge. Not that he has any particular reason to believe that she is.

      With regard to the incident in the skyscraper, it wasn't a combat game segment, it was a QTE; more player-interactive narrative than anything. Indeed, Joel specifically tells Ellie "This is nothing", confirming that scratches are non-infectious.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      At the most, the scenes with David mean that he doesn't think that she's infectious to the best of his knowledge. Not that he has any particular reason to believe that she is.With regard to the incident in the skyscraper, it wasn't a combat game segment, it was a QTE; more player-interactive narrative than anything. Indeed, Joel specifically tells Ellie "This is nothing", confirming that scratches are non-infectious.

      And I said that David would have been able to look at his own wound and know that he'd been infected. Again, as I pointed out, when Tess gets bitten, she points out to Joel "I was bitten an hour ago and it's already worse" than Ellie's scar, which looks pretty jacked up. How exactly do you explain that?

      I'm aware it's a quicktime event. Like I said, there has to be a way to take damage without getting an immediate game over. The clicker may not have even scratched him, just punched/slapped him. Since when were we even arguing over whether or not sctratches were infectious anyways? I honestly don't care. It seems a bit like you're moving goalposts. Whether or not scratches are infectious or not really doesn't have much to do with whether or not Ellie is infectious.

        Loading editor
    • @MayonEgg,

      I am not moving the goalposts (although you, on the other hand do seem to be determined to reject any evidence that fails to fit into your personal ideology about the game). I am using a like-for-like comparison. A Clicker is infectious. If Ellie is also infectious the same transmission rules must apply by way of Occam's Razor. Therefore, we can draw conclusions about how easy it would be for Ellie to pass on CBI from how easy it is for a Clicker to do the same.

      It is thus demonstrated that it is difficult for an Infected person to transmit the condition to others. Ergo, unless the Fireflies deliberately tried to get Ellie to Infect someone, there is no reason to believe that they knew one way or the other if she was contageous. At this stage of the game, there wasn't even any reason to believe that the CBI had even taken root in Ellie's body; she could have had a total genetic immunity to the fungus that killed it as soon as it entered her system. So, it is quite likely that the Fireflies would have been entirely ignorant of Ellie's contagious/non-contagious status.

      Anyway, I'm arguing a strawman and getting side-tracked here. My point here is that the simplest explanation for this ambiguity is that Naughty Dog made the decision not to address this matter, most probably for reasons of narrative flow and run-time.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      @MayonEgg,

      I am not moving the goalposts (although you, on the other hand do seem to be determined to reject any evidence that fails to fit into your personal ideology about the game). I am using a like-for-like comparison. A Clicker is infectious. If Ellie is also infectious the same transmission rules must apply by way of Occam's Razor. Therefore, we can draw conclusions about how easy it would be for Ellie to pass on CBI from how easy it is for a Clicker to do the same.

      It is thus demonstrated that it is difficult for an Infected person to transmit the condition to others. Ergo, unless the Fireflies deliberately tried to get Ellie to Infect someone, there is no reason to believe that they knew one way or the other if she was contageous. At this stage of the game, there wasn't even any reason to believe that the CBI had even taken root in Ellie's body; she could have had a total genetic immunity to the fungus that killed it as soon as it entered her system. So, it is quite likely that the Fireflies would have been entirely ignorant of Ellie's contagious/non-contagious status.

      Anyway, I'm arguing a strawman and getting side-tracked here. My point here is that the simplest explanation for this ambiguity is that Naughty Dog made the decision not to address this matter, most probably for reasons of narrative flow and run-time.

      Wow, "personal ideology?" I just think that ND MAY have already addressed this with David, and that we MAYBE are just supposed to assume that Ellie isn't contagious. That's it. It's not some vast "ideology" that I've constructed. I'm not exactly the only person who thought the same thing. You're the one constructing an entire narrative where there is "no reason to believe" that the fireflies could find out one way or another. And anyways, why are you even bringing that up? I haven't so much as mentioned them in my last 3 comments. You STILL haven't responded to my argument about David. I'll repost it, again:

      David would have been able to look at his own wound and know that he'd been infected. Again, as I pointed out, when Tess gets bitten, she points out to Joel "I was bitten an hour ago and it's already worse" than Ellie's scar, which looks pretty jacked up. How exactly do you explain that?

      I mean, if you really wanna apply occam's razor here, I'd say that the explaination that doesn't require the most assumptions is that Ellie isn't infectious, and that's why it's not directly addressed. I mean, if that danger is not there, it's not there. The only assumption there that you have to make is that, well, they didn't address it because there's no danger or concern there to address. But if she is infectious? Then you have to assume that the fireflies didn't have the time/resources, that the topic never came up, that Ellie never was personally concerned (which, why wouldn't she considering what she went through with Riley?) Not to mention the impact it has on her character- How will this effect her future life? etc etc.

        Loading editor
    • I have no intentoin of carrying on this discussion with you. Whenever we debate, it turns into a raging argument and I have no desire to persist in something that does nothing but anger me and bring out the worst in me.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      I have no intentoin of carrying on this discussion with you. Whenever we debate, it turns into a raging argument and I have no desire to persist in something that does nothing but anger me and bring out the worst in me.

      That's fine, I'm sorry that it's gotten to this point.

        Loading editor
    • 188.126.22.69 wrote:
      (Spoilers)

      I thought about the infection and the way it affects people. And something jumped into my head- Joel never gets infected. The bloater projectiles don't make him turn. He never cleans his clothes after walking around in infected areas, they would be soaked in spores, and he takes his mask off seconds after exiting. He lives with Ellie for a year and its almost certain that she can spread the virus. He chokes and punches many infected with bare hands.

      What I'm saying is... maybe he is immune and he doesn't even know it. Think about it. The only way he can be killed by an infected is by a bite or a punch. Ellie is  confirmed to be immune, yet she can die in the exact same ways. AND both Joel and Ellie have listen mode, the same way the clickers "see".  We don't know how the immunity works, but it's probably  genetic. Riley and Ellie were most likely bitten by the same runner but Riley didn't survive . It's also unknown how Anna died, she might have been immune too. No one in Joel's family gets infected.

      Come to think about it, Joel said that there were others like Ellie. WHAT IF he knows that's true? Maybe he wears a token mask just to hide his immunity. We saw what happened to the other person who was immune.

      These might be holes OR Naughty Dog made a subtle plot point that fitted the game's limitations. I mean, it would've been boring if Joel had to put on a full protection suilt every time there was a closed area in the game. Or if he got infected by giving Ellie a boost.  In fact the hand to hand combat would have been useless against runners.

      Who knows, it's a theory.

      Then why does he wear a gas mask when alone? Such as in the Pittsburgh hotel? Random characters in Multiplayer use Listening mode in the TLOU multiplayer games.

        Loading editor
    • GalenDespereaux wrote:
      188.126.22.69 wrote:....
      Then why does he wear a gas mask when alone? Such as in the Pittsburgh hotel? Random characters in Multiplayer use Listening mode in the TLOU multiplayer games.

      This, plus listen mode isn't even available on harder difficulties. It's just an aspect of the gameplay, not some "superpower" that anyone gains from being immune. Plus plus, the combat mechanics are basically the same no matter what companion you have (they all are punching runners, getting "caught" by clickers, etc). I mean, everytime I play the part with Tess she's punching runners like a crazy person (this is before the obvious moment she gets infected.) It's just the way the combat is formatted.

        Loading editor
    • FWIW, I think that the game AI isn't all that hot for the ally characters, at least at close-quarter combat. The only exception I've seen is the escape from UEC and that has the feel of a 'railway track' shooter to me. But I digress.

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:
      GalenDespereaux wrote:
      188.126.22.69 wrote:....
      Then why does he wear a gas mask when alone? Such as in the Pittsburgh hotel? Random characters in Multiplayer use Listening mode in the TLOU multiplayer games.
      This, plus listen mode isn't even available on harder difficulties. It's just an aspect of the gameplay, not some "superpower" that anyone gains from being immune. Plus plus, the combat mechanics are basically the same no matter what companion you have (they all are punching runners, getting "caught" by clickers, etc). I mean, everytime I play the part with Tess she's punching runners like a crazy person (this is before the obvious moment she gets infected.) It's just the way the combat is formatted.

      Honestly, this theory makes none of ze senze. But anyway, nice try.

        Loading editor
    • GalenDespereaux wrote:
      MayonnEgg wrote:
      GalenDespereaux wrote:
      188.126.22.69 wrote:....
      Then why does he wear a gas mask when alone? Such as in the Pittsburgh hotel? Random characters in Multiplayer use Listening mode in the TLOU multiplayer games.
      This, plus listen mode isn't even available on harder difficulties. It's just an aspect of the gameplay, not some "superpower" that anyone gains from being immune. Plus plus, the combat mechanics are basically the same no matter what companion you have (they all are punching runners, getting "caught" by clickers, etc). I mean, everytime I play the part with Tess she's punching runners like a crazy person (this is before the obvious moment she gets infected.) It's just the way the combat is formatted.
      Honestly, this theory makes none of ze senze. But anyway, nice try.

      Don't forget that Henry punches Infected as well before he died, and wasn't Infected.

        Loading editor
    • GalenDespereaux wrote:
      GalenDespereaux wrote:
      MayonnEgg wrote:
      GalenDespereaux wrote:
      188.126.22.69 wrote:....
      Then why does he wear a gas mask when alone? Such as in the Pittsburgh hotel? Random characters in Multiplayer use Listening mode in the TLOU multiplayer games.
      This, plus listen mode isn't even available on harder difficulties. It's just an aspect of the gameplay, not some "superpower" that anyone gains from being immune. Plus plus, the combat mechanics are basically the same no matter what companion you have (they all are punching runners, getting "caught" by clickers, etc). I mean, everytime I play the part with Tess she's punching runners like a crazy person (this is before the obvious moment she gets infected.) It's just the way the combat is formatted.
      Honestly, this theory makes none of ze senze. But anyway, nice try.
      Don't forget that Henry punches Infected as well before he died, and wasn't Infected.

      Once more, why does Joel kill all the Fireflies if her wanted Ellie to live?! He could have just said, hey, I'm immune, use my own mutated Cordyceps!

        Loading editor
    • It's clear Joel doesn't want anything to do with the Fireflies anymore and the entire plot of TLoU is based around Ellie's immunity and bringing her to the Fireflies. 

      So, how could Joel also being immune be used as a plot? 

        Loading editor
    • I don't think he's immune, he's just a badass.

        Loading editor
    • 219.78.119.2 wrote:

      So, how could Joel also being immune be used as a plot? 

      Only if there is some contrived explanation that involves Ellie. Maybe Joel gets bitten and, as he's slipping under, she does something desperate - She opens one of her own veins and bleeds it onto his wound. The fever is long but... he doesn't Turn.

        Loading editor
    • that's not how immunity works, at all. It'd cross the realm of survival fiction and go into fantasy with a blink of an eye. 

        Loading editor
    • If it carries the plot in the required direction, few would care.

        Loading editor
    • But it contradicts pre-existing plot points that have already been established by the game. If giving someone immunity were as easy as bleeding onto them, then the Fireflies wouldn't have been resorting to kill Ellie to create a vaccine. They'd just get her to donate blood once every couple of months. 

        Loading editor
    • Yeah... That would be a valid counter-point... if the Fireflies had been a desperate 13-year-old girl trying to save her father figure with no existing scientific or medical training.

        Loading editor
    • What you just brought up has no relevance.

      The scientists in the Firefly lab determined that the fungal infection grew over the brain, and that the only way (presumably after scientific deliberation) to create a vaccine was to remove and reverse-engineer this fungal tissue to develop a cure. If antibodies (never mind that they actually wouldn't work in this situation, you don't inject measles into someone who already has measles as sit simply doesn't work that way) could be transferred by just spilling blood over someone else, the scientists would have been able to find it. They've been studying the disease for years, after all, and they were able to perform fairly detailed studies of Ellie as well. Ellie being a desperate 13-year old with no medical training does not somehow alter the Fireflies' studies on the Cordyceps fungus. 

      There's retcons, which are annoying by themselves, but then there are retcons that don't serve to advance the story at all. What narrative would making Joel get infected and then getting random-blood-spill cured by Ellie serve? That she can start going around bleeding over people like some sort of gory Jesus? TLoU is much more of a tragedy than a skipping-into-the-sunset type of story. 

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:
      What you just brought up has no relevance.

      Actually, my post is 100% relevant whilst your rebuttal is 100% irrelevant because it is knowledge that would affect characters other than Ellie. You are advocating that Ellie be written OOC because of the knoweldge of other characters who likely never told her these things.

      Just because you think you have a handle on what the writers wanted to be the dynamics of CBI and how a potential cure might work doesn't mean that it would affect Ellie's behaviour. Or that you would be right.

      Last post. Reply if you will but I'm unfollowing this thread.

        Loading editor
    • My response is only irrelevant if you ignore the plot until now and retcon the whole thing. Ellie never being told the mechanics of her infection doesn't mean her infection can magically do whatever she wants it to do. Just because I'm no good with linear algebra doesn't mean linear algebra's rules do not matter. 

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:

      Last post. Reply if you will but I'm unfollowing this thread.

      I'm really not meaning to be rude here, but this is just so annoying. People come onto message boards to discuss things. Suddenly abandoning a conversation because it's not going your way, especially a conversation about something that you yourself brought up isn't you taking some moral high road, it's honestly just kind of rude to the person you're talking to. Sorry if that's harsh, but I just feel like if someone is taking the time to discuss something with you, it's just rude to walk away after having conveniently given yourself the "final word."

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:
      BenRG wrote:

      Last post. Reply if you will but I'm unfollowing this thread.

      I'm really not meaning to be rude here, but this is just so annoying. People come onto message boards to discuss things. Suddenly abandoning a conversation because it's not going your way, especially a conversation about something that you yourself brought up isn't you taking some moral high road, it's honestly just kind of rude to the person you're talking to. Sorry if that's harsh, but I just feel like if someone is taking the time to discuss something with you, it's just rude to walk away after having conveniently given yourself the "final word."

      On the other hand, when one side of an argument leaves, it does allow the forum to get back on track...

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:

      On the other hand, when one side of an argument leaves, it does allow the forum to get back on track...

      True lol, sorry.

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:
      M67PattonZippo wrote:
      On the other hand, when one side of an argument leaves, it does allow the forum to get back on track...
      True lol, sorry.


      That's ok. In the words of God from Monty Python & the Holy Grail, "GET ON WITH IT!"

        Loading editor
    • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

      sorry about it being Wiki but this is what the infection is based off of and with a few modifications. the idea of a fungi flu cross is biologicly imposible since a virus and fungi are very diffferent. i can see joel posibly being imune probably a number of other people are and would never know it since there are people who are naturaly resistant to the human verrsion of mad cow http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Creutzfeldt-Jakob-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

      however the idea that the spoors become inefective as soon as they hit sunlight is a bit odd. must spors are known to become dormant then "reawaken" in more ideal conditions. and a fungal lung infection can be spread by breath but only usualy in latter staged by coughing

      on second though there could be a small chance of a virus causing the fungi to mutate due to viruses hijaking cells and a part of the process failing and insted of just caussing viruses caused a strange fungi that by some small chance was still functional and able to reproduce

        Loading editor
    • I think there's a possibility of Joel being immune, but it's slim. It's more of a Shrodinger's Cat situation. Until LOU2 is released, we'll never know, but until then we can view Joel as both Immune and not Immune. 

      However. The listening ability is merely a game mechanic, and the death scenes for Joel and Ellie in the game are non-canon Game Overs, as many people say. It's the same as how you can recharge the flashlight just by shaking it (Which by the way is impossible. It may work a few times, because as the battery becomes low smaller flashlights will think it's out of juice so shaking it CAN make it work again, but only until the battery is completely drained.)

      Sarah couldn't have been confirmed nor denied as Immune, as she was killed via a firearm (And unlike The Walking Dead, they don't turn even after dying by normal means) If a host body died before turning, even if shot in the heart, the virus won't be able to take over as the body is dead. 

      And actually, the Cordyceps Virus IS real, though at the moment it's only strong enough to take over insects. But it does have the same effects on insects IRL as it does humans in the game. Doing some research on Cordyceps can prove this point. And, as it is a real virus, and the game isn't as far-fetched as most games in the genre, it can be said that the Cordyceps Virus of The Last of Us has the same rules as real life viruses. Example, the spores die if they enter an environment with fresh air. Even mushroom and mold spores need a damp environment to spread, which is why Black Mold is common in homes with water leakage, and you only see spore clouds in buildings with tight spaces that are near water (The most spores we see in any location are in the building with the humans where you face all those stalkers, clickers, and that bloater). So any spores on Joel would become benign when he leaves the damp space and enters an environment with fresh air. Of course, it's only a game mechanic when he ONLY wears the mask in the spore clouds.

      Back to Joel's 'immunity'. Immunity can be genetic in certain cases. Immunity happens from genetics adapting over time. an example of this is ants. about 50 years ago, any pesticides we used would kill them, But since the ants breed and give birth thousands of times faster than humans do, they quickly evolved to become immune to those pesticides, so now we have to use specific chemicals on them. So it's possible that Ellie is not the only one immune to the Virus. However there could be a deeper theory on HER immunity than just thinking about Joel's immunity. Perhaps Ellie was even experimented on as a child. She was born only 2 years after the Virus started killing the mass population of Earth. And the Fireflies, who have had a MAJOR part in her life could have done something to her, since Marlene didn't seem so shocked about Ellie's immunity and was so willing to take her life to cure the virus. 

      However, if the immunity was randomly occuring, to the point that people who were well into their adult lives when the virus struck, it would be a small dormant genetic that causes the immunity, and would be completely random, and Sarah might have had it as genetics are hereditary, but we'll never know. 

      Also along the line of random occurances of immunity. If you think about it scientifically. Humans as a species don't become immune to things they haven't been exposed to on some level. We didn't evolve to be immune to small pox until the past generations took the vaccine as children and adults, and it took years for us to be immune to Measles/the Black Plague. So basically, Joel wouldn't be able to be immune in this case, since he'd be too old when the virus strikes to develop an immunity. Immunities mostly develope when we're young which is why we're constantly legally required to get vaccinated before attending school when we're children. Which is probably why Ellie is immune. Experimentation or not, Ellie was born INTO the world filled with the Cordyceps Virus. Perhaps her mother inhaled spores shortly before giving birth. Not enough to infect, but JUST enough to be broken down and inhaled into Ellie while she was still in the womb, idk. It's possible. 

      This post wasn't to confirm nor deny your theory, but to explain things you should think about when making such a theory.

        Loading editor
    • Winterlotus90 wrote: No, like with other fungal diseases, it's not spreadable by breathing on people, biting them, etc. The spores get into your lungs and they stick there: fungal infections are not contagious. 

      False, sir. All variations of the Influenza are spore based fungal pathogens. While the Flu is not exactly an infection to say the least, it wouldn't apply in the case of CBI because it IS an infection, like MRSA or an infectious sist...That's why the Flu is so contagious and easy to contract. It gets on your hands, your hands go on your food, and the.ln into your mouth, and bam, it's in your system now. Or you breathe in the spores in the open air. Bacteria needs oxygen to survive, just like we do; being out in the open wouldn't kill it at all, but the right evnrionmental settings would.

      I think the reason Joel never contracted CBI is because he's the hero; he can't die until the writers kill him. How dumb would it be if he got infected 10 minutes into the game? Be a little pointless, in my opinion.

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo
      M67PattonZippo removed this reply because:
      14:01, September 19, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Winterlotus90 wrote: Joel isn't immune guys! LOL come on now.

      It is very unlikely that Joel is immune however we do not know for a fact if he is or isn't. He could be. It wouldn't be the first time naughty dog had a massive plot twist. I personally think that in the trailer for The Last Of Us Part 2 that Joel is dead. He seems to unreal. When he speaks he is to calm and look at his clothes and hands. They are oddly clean as if he is now the perfect him because he has died and gone to heaven or whatever. At first I thought this theory could be false because there would be no need for a dead person to carry a gun (which we see Joel doing in the trailer) but could this just be because Ellie is so used to seeing him carrying a gun that she is now visualising him with a gun. I don't think Joel's death was necessarily recent to the trailer however I think that his death is what will have caused the sudden change in Ellie. His death lead to her becoming more violent and aggressive. I also believe that the people she wants to kill are the fireflies because they are to big of a part of the story to not include.

      But it's just an idea :)

        Loading editor
    • 92.24.51.9 wrote: [...] I personally think that in the trailer for The Last Of Us Part 2 that Joel is dead. He seems to unreal. When he speaks he is to calm and look at his clothes and hands. They are oddly clean as if he is now the perfect him because he has died and gone to heaven or whatever. At first I thought this theory could be false because there would be no need for a dead person to carry a gun (which we see Joel doing in the trailer) but could this just be because Ellie is so used to seeing him carrying a gun that she is now visualising him with a gun. I don't think Joel's death was necessarily recent to the trailer however I think that his death is what will have caused the sudden change in Ellie. His death lead to her becoming more violent and aggressive. I also believe that the people she wants to kill are the fireflies because they are to big of a part of the story to not include.

      But it's just an idea :)

      I'm unsure whether Joel is dead or not in the trailer--but I really hope he isn't. I think that Ellie killed everyone there herself and Joel showed up later.

        Loading editor
    • </div> I'm unsure whether Joel is dead or not in the trailer--but I really hope he isn't. I think that Ellie killed everyone there herself and Joel showed up later.
      </div> As much as I would love to believe Joel is alive it just doesn't feel right. From the evidence I fe like there is to much to prove his death. For instance when we see him appear in the trailer he appears out of grinding white light which we associate with death. He looks oddly clean. Too clean for someone living in that would. And when Ellie talks to him I think it's her seeing him as a ghost as she isn't dealing with his death well and has become mentally unstable. When we hear Joel talks o think it's Ellie asking herself these questions. Asking her self if Joel would want her to kill everyone and put her life at risk. She knows that's wouldn't what he wants however I think she is to angry to care.

      I really hope he isn't dead tho because he is a great character.

        Loading editor
    • Blinding*

        Loading editor
    • Ellie isn't immune guys, her infection mutated somehow, it's practically wrapped in and around her brain, that's why it would kill her to take it out. Ellie is technically half human, half infected.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.