FANDOM


  • I'm sure that everyone has their pet theory or speculation about Part II. This thread is for airing them, discussing them and (with the necessary level of politiness, courtesy and debating skill) tearing them down.

    I'll start. My full sorta-analysis of the reveal trailer can be found here. If don't want to deal with my wall o'text here's a basic executive summary:

    • Joel ain't dead;
    • Ellie is hunting down the Fireflies because either (a) they tried to seize control of Jackson or (b) threatened to destroy the town if she was not handed over to them;
    • Joel isn't happy with this but his peculiar mindset is that Ellie must be allowed to make her mistakes, even terrible ones; he'll satisfy himself with keeping her safe and trying to reach her to get her to back off her vendetta (or at least pursue it in a more focussed way than 'kill every last one of them');
    • There might be a romance subplot for Ellie.

    Thoughts on my ideas? Thoughts of your own? That's what this thread is for!

      Loading editor
    • I personally don't believe there will be any sort of romance in the spotlight. If Naughty Dog really wanted to include such, it's best left as a passing remark for fear of bogging down the relationship between Joel and Ellie.

      Also, yeah, no way is Joel dead. If Naughty Dog did that, they've set themselves up for disaster.

      I agree on Ellie hunting down the Fireflies; (^_^) if it's a new villain, there'll be time wasted having to introduce them, why Ellie hates them and so on. It's best for them to continue what they've already but on rather than start a fresh with the same characters.

        Loading editor
    • I can't really see a romance subplot being pulled off in this, given the darker, revenge-driven tone of the trailer as compared to the first game. Unless it's done as a flashback, a romantic subplot would likely be drowned out by Ellie's anger and rage.

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:
      Unless it's done as a flashback, a romantic subplot would likely be drowned out by Ellie's anger and rage.

      Or, unless, it's done as a part of the end-game of the rage. The SO, whoever she is, is the key influence that helps Joel lever open Ellie's mind and realise that there is still some reason for her to live other than hunt down the Fireflies.

      It doesn't sound like a Naughty Dog tactic but you could even have two distinct endings radiating out from Ellie's decision.

        Loading editor
    • Maby and this is a big MABY but what if instead of Joel dying at the beginning Joel dies toward the end and I have two reasons to support my theory. Naughtydog aren't the type of people to repeat themselves. And in the trailer the only readable poster says Theseus NOTE If you dont know what Theseus look it up real quick anyway maby Naughtydog is referencing to what will happen to Joel like if Joel thought something bad happened to Ellie and thought she had died so he couldn't bear to live without her so he killed himself and then as soon as Joel committed suicide Ellie woke up and saw what happend to Joel kinda like the greek myth of Theseus.

        Loading editor
    • 174.255.196.61 wrote: Maby and this is a big MABY but what if instead of Joel dying at the beginning Joel dies toward the end and I have two reasons to support my theory. Naughtydog aren't the type of people to repeat themselves. And in the trailer the only readable poster says Theseus NOTE If you dont know what Theseus look it up real quick anyway maby Naughtydog is referencing to what will happen to Joel like if Joel thought something bad happened to Ellie and thought she had died so he couldn't bear to live without her so he killed himself and then as soon as Joel committed suicide Ellie woke up and saw what happend to Joel kinda like the greek myth of Theseus.

      Im adding on to what I said before it would also kinda be like what happened with Sam and his brother if Im wrong with the one kids name sorry its been a while since Ive played it.
        Loading editor
    • That's basically the plot of Romeo and Juliet though, focussing on the love aspect alone mind.

        Loading editor
    • It's my gut feeling that Ellie will eventually ferret out just how completely horrible Spring went and, more importantly, via Tommy and the voice recorders, she's going to find out just what total failures, frauds and idiots the Fireflies were. I agree with Joseph Anderson on YouTube that the Fireflies were a failing, desperate bunch who had no real idea how to get the vaccine and were going to kill Ellie in a desperate last 'Hail Mary' pass in a desperate hope that finding a vaccine will save the movement, which was otherwise on the edge of defeat and give them the victory and power to make their 'perfect world' they always hoped for. As I said in my blog post, Ellie really believed in the Fireflies and finding out for herself and by not being told (and this is critical - being told would not have such an enormous power over her), the sense of betrayal turns her love for their ideals into hate for their betrayal of her dreams.

      Ellie is so furious at the scale of the false hope the Fireflies have presented (most importantly to her in conversations with Marlene and the other older Fireflies) in the pursuit of their own power and notoriety that she decides the world would be better off without them. As the daughter of a dead Firefly and a true believer in the dream, she takes it as her responsibility to eradicate them so that they'll never harm anyone else on false pretences ever again. This is the starting point of Part II.

      Joel, at least initially, will blame himself. He doesn't realise just how completely she's seen through his lie until a critical moment in Part II, when Ellie, in a moment of rage, confirms that she'd never believed him but had simply accepted that Joel was sticking to his story and that it wasn't worth creating a breach between them in pursuit of a truth he was unwilling to tell. This is Ellie's vendetta for Ellie's reasons and Joel is, in some ways, guilty of attempting to infantalise her and trying to rob her of agency by claiming that she is only doing this because of his misdeeds. Joel may or may not die at this point (his death, perhaps to save her, at a critical moment - his sins unforgiven - could be a powerful moment in Ellie's character development).

      So it will be, or so I'm guessing, that Ellie will be engaging in her own version of Joel's journey - to the full degree of despair and murderous rage and then to find the light again through love and a desire to build a future rather than spend all her time killing and destroying for her own selfish feelings of betrayal. Thus, we'll again be drawn back to Jackson and the clear message that it is in building the future that there is a future, not trying to save a dead civilisation and its structures.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote: It's my gut feeling that Ellie will eventually ferret out just how completely horrible Spring went and, more importantly, via Tommy and the voice recorders, she's going to find out just what total failures, frauds and idiots the Fireflies were. I agree with Joseph Anderson on YouTube that the Fireflies were a failing, desperate bunch who had no real idea how to get the vaccine and were going to kill Ellie in a desperate last 'Hail Mary' pass in a desperate hope that finding a vaccine will save the movement, which was otherwise on the edge of defeat and give them the victory and power to make their 'perfect world' they always hoped for. As I said in my blog post, Ellie really believed in the Fireflies and finding out for herself and by not being told (and this is critical - being told would not have such an enormous power over her), the sense of betrayal turns her love for their ideals into hate for their betrayal of her dreams.

      Ellie is so furious at the scale of the false hope the Fireflies have presented (most importantly to her in conversations with Marlene and the other older Fireflies) in the pursuit of their own power and notoriety that she decides the world would be better off without them. As the daughter of a dead Firefly and a true believer in the dream, she takes it as her responsibility to eradicate them so that they'll never harm anyone else on false pretences ever again. This is the starting point of Part II.

      Joel, at least initially, will blame himself. He doesn't realise just how completely she's seen through his lie until a critical moment in Part II, when Ellie, in a moment of rage, confirms that she'd never believed him but had simply accepted that Joel was sticking to his story and that it wasn't worth creating a breach between them in pursuit of a truth he was unwilling to tell. This is Ellie's vendetta for Ellie's reasons and Joel is, in some ways, guilty of attempting to infantalise her and trying to rob her of agency by claiming that she is only doing this because of his misdeeds. Joel may or may not die at this point (his death, perhaps to save her, at a critical moment - his sins unforgiven - could be a powerful moment in Ellie's character development).

      So it will be, or so I'm guessing, that Ellie will be engaging in her own version of Joel's journey - to the full degree of despair and murderous rage and then to find the light again through love and a desire to build a future rather than spend all her time killing and destroying for her own selfish feelings of betrayal. Thus, we'll again be drawn back to Jackson and the clear message that it is in building the future that there is a future, not trying to save a dead civilisation and its structures.

      Thats actually a pretty good theory you may be completely right about that.

        Loading editor
    • Alright I have a couple things I want to say really fast. 1) If it is the fireflies that Ellie wants to kill every last one of them how many are left of the fireflies. Seriously think about how many Joel did kill alot of the Fireflies when he was saving Ellie. Joel did kill Marlene 2) If it is the Fireflies who is their leader and how many outposts are there 3) Maby the people Joel and Ellie killed weren't Fireflies. Maby that Firefly symbol was just painted there and its been there for a while think back to the university there was a whole system the Fireflies had there and the just left. 4) There is a piece of concept art for TLOUP2 where Ellie is playing a guitar and there's a whole army of people in armor. Like the quarantine zone you start at when Joel wakes up.

        Loading editor
    • 174.255.196.61 wrote: Alright I have a couple things I want to say really fast. 1) If it is the fireflies that Ellie wants to kill every last one of them how many are left of the fireflies. Seriously think about how many Joel did kill alot of the Fireflies when he was saving Ellie. Joel did kill Marlene 2) If it is the Fireflies who is their leader and how many outposts are there 3) Maby the people Joel and Ellie killed weren't Fireflies. Maby that Firefly symbol was just painted there and its been there for a while think back to the university there was a whole system the Fireflies had there and the just left. 4) There is a piece of concept art for TLOUP2 where Ellie is playing a guitar and there's a whole army of people in armor. Like the quarantine zone you start at when Joel wakes up.

      Maby one of the quarantine zones are after them because they found out Ellie was infected.

        Loading editor
    • Nah, that's too simple. Why would you chase an infected girl? Particularly if they are running away from you? Given theirs more Infected than humans left in the world, it's pointless to kill one possible infected.

      Also, Joel doesn't really kill the majority of the Fireflies when you think about it; there's still a ton at the end that chase after him in the hospital. There could also be other "pockets" spread out throughout America, so there's no real reason to assume the Firefleis couldn't regroup and become strong/united again.

      Still fun to theorise though ^_^

        Loading editor
    • BenRG@  WOW!! This is like the BEST theory I read so far!! Very interesting! :)

        Loading editor
    • 174.255.196.61 wrote:
      Alright I have a couple things I want to say really fast. 1) If it is the fireflies that Ellie wants to kill every last one of them how many are left of the fireflies. Seriously think about how many Joel did kill alot of the Fireflies when he was saving Ellie. Joel did kill Marlene

      2) If it is the Fireflies who is their leader and how many outposts are there 3) Maby the people Joel and Ellie killed weren't Fireflies. Maby that Firefly symbol was just painted there and its been there for a while think back to the university there was a whole system the Fireflies had there and the just left. 4) There is a piece of concept art for TLOUP2 where Ellie is playing a guitar and there's a whole army of people in armor. Like the quarantine zone you start at when Joel wakes up.


      1.  There could be many Fireflies left throughout the country. Joel only damaged the Salt Lake City group, and there were quite a few chasing him as he escaped the hospital.

      2.  Their current leader and number of surviving outposts are unknown.

      3.  It is possible that the people she killed weren't Fireflies, but at least one of the corpses in the trailer had a yellow Firefly armband, and the Firefly insignia is sprayed on a stop sign.

      4.  That's just fan art.

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:

      174.255.196.61 wrote:
      Alright I have a couple things I want to say really fast. 1) If it is the fireflies that Ellie wants to kill every last one of them how many are left of the fireflies. Seriously think about how many Joel did kill alot of the Fireflies when he was saving Ellie. Joel did kill Marlene

      2) If it is the Fireflies who is their leader and how many outposts are there 3) Maby the people Joel and Ellie killed weren't Fireflies. Maby that Firefly symbol was just painted there and its been there for a while think back to the university there was a whole system the Fireflies had there and the just left. 4) There is a piece of concept art for TLOUP2 where Ellie is playing a guitar and there's a whole army of people in armor. Like the quarantine zone you start at when Joel wakes up.


      1.  There could be many Fireflies left throughout the country. Joel only damaged the Salt Lake City group, and there were quite a few chasing him as he escaped the hospital.

      2.  Their current leader and number of surviving outposts are unknown.

      3.  It is possible that the people she killed weren't Fireflies, but at least one of the corpses in the trailer had a yellow Firefly armband, and the Firefly insignia is sprayed on a stop sign.

      4.  That's just fan art.

      I know that the firefly insignia is spray painted but Im saying that maby thats a old base they left abandoned.

        Loading editor
    • 174.255.132.45 wrote:

      M67PattonZippo wrote:

      174.255.196.61 wrote:
      Alright I have a couple things I want to say really fast. 1) If it is the fireflies that Ellie wants to kill every last one of them how many are left of the fireflies. Seriously think about how many Joel did kill alot of the Fireflies when he was saving Ellie. Joel did kill Marlene

      2) If it is the Fireflies who is their leader and how many outposts are there 3) Maby the people Joel and Ellie killed weren't Fireflies. Maby that Firefly symbol was just painted there and its been there for a while think back to the university there was a whole system the Fireflies had there and the just left. 4) There is a piece of concept art for TLOUP2 where Ellie is playing a guitar and there's a whole army of people in armor. Like the quarantine zone you start at when Joel wakes up.


      1.  There could be many Fireflies left throughout the country. Joel only damaged the Salt Lake City group, and there were quite a few chasing him as he escaped the hospital.

      2.  Their current leader and number of surviving outposts are unknown.

      3.  It is possible that the people she killed weren't Fireflies, but at least one of the corpses in the trailer had a yellow Firefly armband, and the Firefly insignia is sprayed on a stop sign.

      4.  That's just fan art.

      I know that the firefly insignia is spray painted but Im saying that maby thats a old base they left abandoned.


      The body with the Firefly armband (black with white insignia) looked pretty fresh to me. If it was a base that was abandoned, it would've had to happen soon before the events of the trailer.

        Loading editor
    • Neil Drukmann has recently Tweeted that the ending of The Last of Us was influence by his personal politics. I have to say that this confuses me. There is nothing, IMO at least, obviously political about the ending of the first game, unless Neil was making a statement about the efficacy of revolutionary militia groups like the Fireflies, no matter how well-intentioned.

      Does anyone else have an insight about what he might be talking about?

      Furthermore, as Neil says that Part II will be similarly influenced by his politics, what may this mean for the new game?

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      Neil Drukmann has recently Tweeted that the ending of The Last of Us was influence by his personal politics. I have to say that this confuses me. There is nothing, IMO at least, obviously political about the ending of the first game, unless Neil was making a statement about the efficacy of revolutionary militia groups like the Fireflies, no matter how well-intentioned.

      Does anyone else have an insight about what he might be talking about?

      Furthermore, as Neil says that Part II will be similarly influenced by his politics, what may this mean for the new game?


      Maybe he just meant his personal beliefs (political/social/economic)? As for how that will affect Part II, that remains to be seen, but it will likely be somewhat similar to Part I.

        Loading editor
    • Wow, their theories are very good, it would be great if Naughty Dog added a part of all, hopefully the new delivery is better than the previous one

      Regards!

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:
      Maybe he just meant his personal beliefs (political/social/economic)? As for how that will affect Part II, that remains to be seen, but it will likely be somewhat similar to Part I.

      Update: Oh, that's disappointing. A more recent article suggests that the original tweet to Neil (since deleted) was from a user with pretty bigoted views. I suspsect that it was basically a compalint about Ellie being homosexual.

        Loading editor
    • You might want to watch this video and also this video, which has some interesting brainstorming based on early leeks from Game Informer, which I understand actually pre-dated the announcemnet trailer at PSX 2016. The maker of the video thinks that the parallels between what is said in the article and Neil's comments at the panel at PSX 2016 make the leaks far more credible.

      To summarise:

      • Game release planned for CY2018 so five years have passed both in-universe and IRL;
      • Ellie is main playable character;
      • Anna Williams (Ellie's mother) seems to be likely to be a character (in a Left Behind-style flashback maybe?); the video-maker parallels the figure standing guard on the bus in front of the fire to the cover art for 'American Daughters' which he claims is definitely Anna;
      • New Infected classes
      • Action within maps will be less controlled with much more free-roaming within each map location (more context-triggered NPC dialogue maybe?);
      • The story will be focussing on Ellie's search for 'answers' - Likely how it is she came to be immune and the exact role of her mother and the Fireflies in this - Neil wants us to be impressed by each new 'revelation'.

      It's still mostly speculation (and he misidentifies the Ellie concept art as Anna, which undermines some of his theories), leaks and guesswork so it doesn't classify as an 'update' really but it certainly whets my appetite!

      I love the picture of Ellie on the Game Informer page that he shows in the video. I'm not sure if it is Part II art or not. It doesn't look anything like Ellie's costume in Winter, and I've never seen her in a hoodie before. The fact the picture has been horizontally flipped doesn't make that any easier to tell but I'm pretty sure it's at least new concept art for Part II!

        Loading editor
    • An interesting theory here to suggest that at least one level in the game is set in Seattle. So, is TLoU part II going to be the west coast expedition that I've wanted for a while? I'd love to see Ellie standing in the viewing gallery at the top the ruin of the Space Needle and murmuring to Joel: "There's another view that you can't deny!"

        Loading editor

    • ► Ellie is hunting down the Fireflies because either (a) they tried to seize control of Jackson or (b) threatened to destroy the town if she was not handed over to them;

      Surely you jest! Ellie's seething anger is NOT because someone overran the town, and it's DEFINITELYnot because someone threatened to.

      She is driven by hate, the mindless, evil kind. Even  killing Joel could not cause that terminal hate in Ellie.  The ONLY thing that could elicit that response would be if she became one with someone else (a girl), they were very very happy, and someone killed her other half—expecially if they tortured her to death in front of her just to make Ellie feel horrible.

      THAT would motivate this kind of overwhelming, seething, singular hate.

      ►  Joel trying to reach her to get her to back off her vendetta

      Look carefully. There is actually no indication that he's trying to make her back off her vendetta.  He just asks, "Are you sure you want to do this, Kiddo?"  He just would rather not see Ellie killed too, which is what I'm sure he thinks will happen. (And it damn well better not!)

      Joel saw how much she loved her murdered GF, and he knows how fireflies killing her GF tore out her soul just like Joel's when Sarah died—only more so because it would be specifically the GF they kill, not just "everyone outside the military perimiter." 

      He knows her revenge is legitimate.

      And so will we. That's why we will enjoy being her when she finds more fireflies and kills them all in a murderous rage.

        Loading editor
    • @Luxi,

      Joel asked Ellie: "Are you sure you want to do this?" That certainly sounds like someone trying to get someone else to back off to me.

      As for the "revenge for a murdered girlfriend" idea? Goodness, I hope not. That's so cliche and overused!

        Loading editor
    • >"Are you sure you want to do this?" That certainly sounds like someone trying to get someone else to back off to me.

      Well if so, it's an exceedingly mild way to do it. He's talking about Ellie kicking down doors and murdering dozens of people until she is certainly killed herself—probably sooner than later. If he was actually trying to talk her out of it, he'd be WAY more emphatic.

      > "revenge for a murdered girlfriend" idea? Goodness, I hope not. That's so cliche and overused!

      Not if Naughty Dog uses it. It would be the only thing powerful enough to make Ellie hate like that. And are you suggesting the alternative—equally cliché—that someone's best friend is killed and they get revenge?

      Can you see playing 2: Joel is killed, and you spend the whole game finding and shooting  everyone in the group that did it? That's what would be lame, and it would not have the visceral emotional impact on your soul that Part 1 had. (Well, at least it had that effect on me).

      In his playstation interview, Neil said they had to think for a long, long time to create a story worthy of Part 1. Joel dying early in the game and we spend the rest of it killing  people, that ain't it. 

      If it was, Part 2 would  not only be unworthy of TLOU, it would be a crappy video game from 20 years ago with no suprises, no emotional import, nothing but shooting everyone you see, and it would be universally panned as extremely disappointing.

      Plus, it's so drearily predictable, and Naughty Dog knows that everyone expects it. They even made a trailer that transparently says to expect it, with Ellie vowing to kill everyone and Joel walking out of the mist like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter. And not showing us his face?  If revenge for Joel is what happens in part 2, then the trailer was WAAY too obvious for Naughty Dog to make.

      I'm sorry, that plot story jes' don't feed the bulldog.

      Finally, if they did kill Joel:

      a) It would also kill any further sequels, period.

      b) If Joel dies we riot. That is, if he's killed—no matter what the reason— everyone will hate Lazy Dog.

      They're misdirecting us so we won't expect something that truly kicks us in the head (or the balls. Guys and girls take their instructions from different parts of the body).

        Loading editor
    • LuxiTurna wrote:
      >"Are you sure you want to do this?" That certainly sounds like someone trying to get someone else to back off to me.

      Well if so, it's an exceedingly mild way to do it. He's talking about Ellie kicking down doors and murdering dozens of people until she is certainly killed herself—probably sooner than later. If he was actually trying to talk her out of it, he'd be WAY more emphatic.

      > "revenge for a murdered girlfriend" idea? Goodness, I hope not. That's so cliche and overused!

      Not if Naughty Dog uses it. It would be the only thing powerful enough to make Ellie hate like that. And are you suggesting the alternative—equally cliche—that someone's best friend is killed and they get revenge?

      1) Yes, it's mild because Joel knows Ellie. Shouting at her or attempting to browbeat her into realising she's going down the wrong path would just make her dig in her heels and do it anyway. Joel knows his Baby Girl (Mk2) well enough to know how best to reach her is to do so gently over time. Besides, he isn't going to shed too many tears over a bunch of Fireflies and/or Hunters if it means getting Ellie back in one piece.

      2) I don't think that it is going to be revenge for anyone but Ellie and her naive childhood dreams of the Fireflies being the white knights who were going to heal the world. For taking away her hope and her reason for being, she's going to kill them. The most vicious form of hate being the selfish hate created from broken hopes and illusions.

        Loading editor
    • WOW, see, that's the kind of insight I come here for.

      But—and correct me if I'm wrong—you think that Ellie will be overcome with seething, murderous hate, to "find and kill every last one of them" because they couldn't figure out how to find a cure?

      Being the cure was not her childhood dream; she only knew about it for two weeks plus  the time she was with Joel. And even then, she was just going along with it ("Hey fuck you man, I didn't ask for any of this!")

      Do you think that she'll turn to hate and mass-murder when nothing in particular happened to trigger it (like her GF or Joel being killed)?

      Remember, we don't know which is true, but either:

      1) Ellie believed Joel, in which case the Fireflies were nobel and tried their best but they just couldn't invent a cure for people turning into fungus monsters, or

      2) Ellie knows the truth. But in that case, why would she blame the fireflies when Joel is the one who shot the doctor and prevented her from saving the world?

      I think her sudden flipping from good to evil must be due to something very, very bad happening to tear her soul from her heart. And in the game, the only possible things THAT bad would be if they killed Joel or they killed her GF.

        Loading editor
    • There's a third possibility, which is that Ellie knows Joel is lying, but doesn't know what exactly he or the Fireflies did. For all we know she might think Marlene is still alive. Marlene was her mum's close friend, after all.

      Ellie's fury in the trailer indicates that she lost someone or some things close to her. Why would you go on a murder rampage at some merely threatening harm? Ellie is a survivor, not a terminator. Given her actions with Joel in TLoU 1 they'd probably flee and seek allies, not go on pre-emptive rampages.

      I really don't like the "Joel is dead" theory, because the whole someone who follows you around but is *plot twist* revealed to be inside your head has been done to death and Druckmann specifically said they weren't making a TLoU 2 if there wasn't a story worth telling (so they'd hopefully be avoiding clichéd tropes?). The other possibility will be the loss of a person at the dam, or people at the dam, or maybe even everyone at the dam. 

      I'm not sure the Fireflies will be the main villains in the game. For all we know the graffiti on the sign could be decades old, and the people she killed could just be hunters or cannibals or other survivors.

        Loading editor
    • Joel MUST be alive because he was carrying a handgun. Ghosts can't carry guns and shoot people¹.  If they could, then they'd just be invisible live people. And in this case, Joel wasn't even invisible.

      ______

      ¹Well, except in High Plains Drifter.  And, arguably, Tom Riddle in the 2nd Harry Potter book.

        Loading editor
    • ► There's a third possibility, which is that Ellie knows Joel is lying, but doesn't know what exactly he or the Fireflies did.

      Woh!

      Not only "Yup, that's a third possibility", but "Yup, I'm pretty sure that's what happened." Thanx, Brainw.  And it provides a broader context to understand stuff in the trailer. Other possibilities put distressingly restrictive constraints on Ellie's overwhelming hate-motivation in 2.

      But we still don't know what that motivation is.

      ►  For all we know she might think Marlene is still alive.

      Ellie HAS to think Marlene is alive. See below.

      ►  Marlene was her mum's close friend, after all.

      Yes, and her protector. But Marlene's death cannot be her motivation, for all kinda reasons:

      • It's too weak to engender that kind of hate. In her whole life, she only saw Marlene intermittently. Frankly, I don't even think Joel's murder would do it—not that obsessive, evil, murder-everyone hate.  The last time I saw that kind of mindless, genocidal revenge killing was when the sand people killed Annikin's mother.

      • A vendetta to avenge Marline—a peripherial character— would not be enough to drive a whole game for us fans. She doesn't have our emotional investiment like Ellie and Joel. Marlene tried to kill Ellie, and then kill Joel when he tried to stop her. Frankly, I was glad to see her die.  It would definitely not be a wortthy successor to part 1.

      • If Ellie is avenging Marlene, who is she vowing to exterminate?

      • I hate to sound like an AI inference engine, but if Ellie is on a revenge rampage to avenge Marlene, then she must know Marlene is dead. But she cannot know that because it is implausable for her to find out she's dead without also finding out that Joel killed her. However, if she knows Joel killed Marlene, Ellie has no reason for an avenging revenging rampage.

      ► I'm not sure the Fireflies will be the main villains in the game.

      "Woh!" again. That hadn't occurred to me, and it would be a reeealy good misdirection by Naughty Dog. They imply it's a firefly house, we waste 18 months and 10,000 fan-years trying to figure out why she's in it, and then they hit us with something we totally don't expect.

      Yeah, that sounds about right!

      Plus, the way Naughty Dog fucks with our sense of right and wrong, Ellie herself may be the villian in part 2.

      ► the people she killed could just be hunters or cannibals or other survivors.

      Yes. But we're already intimately familiar with the fireflies. I can't see how introducing a new David-like "gang" would do anything but dilute the story. On the other hand, Marlene was Queen of the Fireflies and Riley was one. I can't see her vowing to kill them all.

      I'm usually good at seeing what willl happen because most TV and movies are made for stupid people. But with this trailer, Naughty Dog sure 'nuff managed to come up with a real  motherfuckah.

      ✍Lux  

        Loading editor
    • LuxiTurna wrote:
      Joel MUST be alive because he was carrying a handgun. Ghosts can't carry guns and shoot people¹.  If they could, then they'd just be invisible live people. And in this case, Joel wasn't even invisible.

      ______

      ¹Well, except in High Plains Drifter.  And, arguably, Tom Riddle in the 2nd Harry Potter book.

      In Dead Space, imaginary characters are seen and can even kill the player, only for it to be revealed later that it was caused from the player's own agency. In Spec Ops: The Line, you can kill and shoot imaginary soldiers and imaginary soldiers can kill and shoot you for the point of selling the big plot twist at the end. Joel (or his ghost) carrying a gun doesn't signify that he must be alive. He doesn't kill anyone in the trailer. For all we know he could be carrying a gun to sell the illusion (though, again, I really hope that he's alive).

      Maybe Joel lied to Ellie and said that by the time he reached the hospital Marlene had been killed by Fireflies or clickers. It's a dangerous world. In such a scenario Ellie could both think of Marlene as dead AND not want to go on a revenge rampage. All I'm saying is that given the very limited info we're given from the trailer and other sources so far, there's very little we can concretely say MUST be true. 

      If you look at the structure of TLoU 1, there were hardly any main villains. There were infected, cannibals, hunters, the government, and fireflies, but none are purely antagonistic and you can unnderstand (if not necessarily condone) their motivations. TLoU was first and foremost a story about the relationships between Joel and Ellie. TLoU 2 might follow that; the revenge thing might just be a red herring to throw us off. 

        Loading editor
    • ► There were infected, cannibals, hunters, the government, and fireflies, but none are purely antagonistic

      Yeah, though a case could be made for the infected being purely antagonistic. But you're right in the sense that there is no building full of Nazis and your goal is to shoot all of them like an FPS  from 20 years ago,

      ► the revenge thing might just be a red herring to throw us off. 

      Well, I must say, you're still batting 1,000 when it comes to recognizing possible misleading stuff.  Yeah, I asked myself a few hours ago (when writing my prev post), ""Okay, what assumption am I making in the trailer that might not be true" and I thought I had the outermost possible context established. But by God, you are right; it is never actually stated that her motivation is revenge.

      ►  All I'm saying is that given the very limited info we're given from the trailer and other sources so far, there's very little we can concretely say MUST be true. 

      I think we can both agree with that!

      I feel like it's almost pointless to analyze the trailer and speculate; no matter how airtight I think my model is, I'll wager that it was just a trap for too-clever fans like me.

      ► TLoU was first and foremost a story about the relationships between Joel and Ellie.

      Hah!  To me, that's the ONLY thing it is. These days I  watch a youtube walkthrough with all the killing and hiding behind furniture was deleted. When reduced to a movie:

      1) it's only 30 minuites long!

      2) It makes a damn good movie, and the story is much more intense because the story parts aren't split up by fistfighting, throat-cutting,  making bombs from sugar,  and wandering through buildings collecting stuff.

        Loading editor
    • At the reveal presser, Neil said, and I quote here: "The first game was about love, this one will be about hate." The love was, of course, Joel for Sarah, Joel for Tommy (and vice-versa), Joel and Tess (and how that motivated Joel to start on what he was convinced was a fool's errand), how Bill's love for Frank screwed up both men's lives in different ways and how the various people Ellie loved affected her life and perspectives on herself. Most of all, Joel and Ellie's growing familial love.

      Similarly, we can expect the hate of TLoU2 to not just be one particular relationship but many characters' hate for many different things. Characters that hate the Infected to the point of mono-mania; vengeful hate directed at the Fireflies for some reason; hatred others feel towards Joel (and the list of people who hate him and the reasons for doing so are both long). There will doubtless be other examples

      However, as there was a single major pole in the original game - Joel and Ellie's relationship - we can expect a similar single major hatred to be the centre of the plot of the second game. Given that Ellie is shown talking to Joel (whether or not he's actually alive there is irrelevant) makes it unlikely that her hate is directed towards him although he may nonetheless have a lot of work to do to regain her trust if she's found out what happened at SLC and why. Nonetheless, as I said at in my blog post, the most likely target for her (for whatever reason) is the Fireflies.

        Loading editor
    • I doubt the bodies in that house from the trailer were Bandits or Cannibals. At least one had a Firefly armband, and there was Firefly insignia spray-painted on stuff in the area.

        Loading editor
    • I said at in my blog post,


      You have a TLOU blog? cool! where?

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • ty; checking it out...

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote:
      I doubt the bodies in that house from the trailer were Bandits or Cannibals. At least one had a Firefly armband, and there was Firefly insignia spray-painted on stuff in the area.

      Oh wow, really? I totally missed that. Toss half of what I said on this thread out the window.

        Loading editor
    • ► one had a Firefly armband,

      Woh! I didn't notice that either. Good observating! That constrains the house to be a FF refuge, and by extension, the FFs are the group she wants to kill every last one of.

      This is, of course, what we already believed. But the armband is evidence rather than assumption.

      The big question remains, though. What made Ellie turn from being a sassy little girl into a stranger-murdering hate monster?¹

      So far, we have no hard evidence of the answer—right?

      Whatever it is, I hope it never happens to me!

      ___________

      ¹Just changing from a child into a grownup does that, yes. But Ellie is an extreme case.

        Loading editor
    • I have a therory that i've never seen before and I would like your opinion about it. Sorry for my bad englsih, i'm french. I learned english alone at home with a dictionary because of many health problems who kept me stuck in my bed when i was teenager Just hope you will understand me.


      Before I would like to know how people know that Anna (Ellie's mother) was a nurse, because I saw the information I've never heard or read anything about it in the game, the DLC or the comic... unfortunately her job is an important part of my theory. 


      at first I think that the Comic American Daughters could be about Anna. 

      If Anna was a nurse she was certainly who working with a team of scientist/doctors fireflies. one day, they needed to test their passive vaccine on human beings and she has been one of the volunters (solution could have been on prisoners, but i don't see her doing such horrible things.) without know that she was pregnant (and before Ellie's brain formation). she has discovered her pregnancy only few days after they had inoculated her the vaccine and later the infection. then when she realized that her baby didn't show any sign of infection and grew up normally, she has realized that there was a chance that a child could have a "normal" life and had decided to flee. 

      Plus the fact that she could be a nurse could show that she was an empathic person and so what was really important for her was to save people life and not murder children. she didn't want to see the fireflies kill or used her baby like a guinea pig. i don't know about Ellie's father. maybe he was a volunter too. maybe they were in love, or maybe not. maybe he has been killed by a group of fireflies after Anna had diseapper.

      I imagine Anna leaving Seattle and been tracked by some fireflies and escaping hunters and infected during all her pregnacy. Then she arrived in Boston to give birth to Ellie with the help of Marlene who was her best friend and the only person she trusted. After Ellie's birth she asked her to protect her daughter and fled Boston to pretend both mother and daughter have died/ been killed and finally turn into an infected few days or weeks later. Marlene kept her promise and asked to other fireflies to keep an eye on Ellie but never told them the girl was Anna's daughter.

      When we listen to the full version of the firefly's recorder we can find at the university, the scientist say they have aready found a passive vaccine (which means who only last few weeks/months and the immune system doesn't create antibodies, they are injected) : "Like this entire fucking thing was a goddamn waste of time. It feels like the past few years were more of the latter. We haven't had a breakthrough since the passive vaccine test we ran ... what? ...Five years ago?"

      And Marlene says in her second recorder : http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Marlene%27s_Recorder_2

      Anna's note to Ellie : http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Note_from_Mom

      and the surgeron's record we find in the hospital is also very interesting : "All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain. "

      I think Marlene knew a most of the things happened to Anna, but maybe not the whole story. Fireflies were certainly a bigger organization 5 years after the infection than 20 years later. Means more people = more secrets between the different sectors. Marlene wasn't maybe that high in Fireflies hierarchy and could never know and disagree with some of their decisions. Like Tommy, she was maybe more of a soldier/muscle than a scientist. She certainly thought it was Anna's vaccine who protected Ellie but she has wasn't immuned or at least she has no proof of Ellie's immunity.

      It was only after Ellie has been bitten that Marlene realized/had the proof that Ellie was really immune. She brought her to the scientist fireflies and so broke her promise to Anna and justified her decision because it was what both were looking for. She realized maybe but too late that bring her to the scientists/doctors mean to kill Ellie, but she has no other choice than accept it.

      I think maybe Ellie was infected since her birth and as the passive vaccine doesn't create antibodies, the could explain why her blood cultures rapidly "grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab" to quote the surgeon.

        Loading editor
    • 2/2 because my answer was too long.

      For The Last of Us part 2, i believe a part of these fireflies (but not all) have maybe joined the FEDRA in exchange of results of their tests. The game needs new enemies, and the fireflies at the end of the first game were weak (but i'm disagree when people say that Joel had already killed lot of Fireflies. If you sneak in the hospital, only 4 fireflies die (Ethan, the one in the stairway, the head surgeon and Marlene). They don't even had another car to follow Joel and Ellie. And we already know the bloaters. Which organization could be strong enough to offer a new powerful enemy ? I just see FEDRA... but i could be wrong. 

      Maybe Marlene has contacted them to tell them about Ellie, as they could be the only ones who knew about Anna's case. In my opinion, they should be the ones who asked her to kill Joel (and would have certainly murdered Tess, Henry, Sam, Tommy and Riley too if they were at the hospital too) because they were scared to see him speak to someone about Ellie, more particularly FEDRA. 

      With the help of the notes and recorders that Joel found and the help of Tommy who maybe knew his mother, Ellie could discover who was Anna and guess why she could be immune. Then she could go to Seattle to learn more about her mother and discover what these fireflies have done. As i said, they had maybe murdered her father (to keep the secret about the their tests, like hey tried to do with Joel) or her both parents. She also realized they wanted Joel dead and would have killed Tess, Henry, Sam, tommy and Riley and so in the end, their death would still be vain. Marlene has spared Joel only because she knew he loved Ellie and because he was alone. She or other fireflies would have certainly killed him too if he has been with the other.


      I also checked the 2 places in Seattle on google map, and i noticed something strange. 90% of Seattle governement offices are in this area.. For example, Seattle City Hall and King County Superior Court and Administration are at few streets from the parking and the Driftwood strore, and i don't think Ellie would go to Seattle to fight few hunters in a Starbuck Coffee... I wouldn't be surprise a part of the story would be there. Naughty Dog like to use big buildings like the Massachusetts State House in Boston, the hospital in Salt like city, the hotel in Pittsburgh and so on (same for Uncharted). It would be difficult to believe they wouldn't use them. It certainly mean Ellie will fight people who live/are in goverment buildings (this is almost sure) so why stay in this kind of buildings if they were just hunters for example... they could of course, but i imagine more than simple hunters. 

      google map[1]

      In the first game militaries were in Massachusetts State House and museum so "government" buildings. Fireflies were supposed to be there too have have been killed in or around these places. Fireflies were at the university and the hospital (of we can find their pendants everywhere) too, so building more based on reseach/science. Hunters  can be find in hotels, library, shopping mall, university, stores (and 2 guys in a bank), houses.

      So to me it would make sense if she was fighting against the Fireflies/FEDRA. 

        Loading editor
    • Can you post a  picture of the arm band?  I looked but I cant see it.

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote: I doubt the bodies in that house from the trailer were Bandits or Cannibals. At least one had a Firefly armband, and there was Firefly insignia spray-painted on stuff in the area.

      As said above, I can't spot the Firefly with the armband either. This is big if what you say is true. Ohh the theories that can be delved into if this one little bit of conjecture becomes fact. 8D

        Loading editor
    • There is no firefly armband.

        Loading editor
    • Huh. I could've sworn that the one corpse wearing a yellow/light tan jacket had a black armband with a Firefly insignia.

        Loading editor
    • M67PattonZippo wrote: Huh. I could've sworn that the one corpse wearing a yellow/light tan jacket had a black armband with a Firefly insignia.

      I'm afraid I can't see one :(

        Loading editor
    • No armband, no yellow jacket.


      001
      The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation Experience 2016 Reveal Trailer PS4.mkv snapshot 02.30 -2017.09.12 19.09.30-
      The Last of Us Part II - PlayStation Experience 2016 Reveal Trailer PS4.mkv snapshot 03.05 -2017.09.12 19.10.10-
        Loading editor
    • Ah well, back to the drawing board. The very least though the Fireflies will be mentioned, not like Naughty Dog to tease it with the sign then just have the characters completely forget about them.

        Loading editor
    • Outbreak Day 2017 Poster
      So, this is an interesting new picture released by Naughty Dog for Outbreak Day 2017! What does it mean though?

      To me, the significant thing here is the wolf-head outlined in the flames. Whilst I wondered if this was a reference to Sarah's favourite teen romance-horror 'Dawn of the Wolf', I'm not so sure.

      Instead, I think that we've just been introduced to our antagonist, who will only ever be known as 'Wolf' and may remain something of a mystery until the game's climax. There are two possible interpretations to me:

      1. Wolf is the leader of a new Hunter faction who has earned Ellie's ire;
      2. Wolf is either the new leader of the Fireflies or the new leader of David's cannibal tribe.

      Either way, I suspect that he's obsessed with Ellie for some reason. Maybe he razed Jackson? Maybe he killed Tommy and/or Maria? Either way, I think that Ellie has taken it as being her mission to eliminate the threat of Wolf's 'pack' once and for all.

        Loading editor
    • Hmm perhaps but then I find myself drawn towards the arm holding the hammer instead. Why a hammer? Are the red lines indicative of the holder being Infected, therefore Ellie? Is it "Wolf's" arms?

      A lot to take from this picture, especially the contrast of urban on nature

        Loading editor
    • The hammer (as horrifying as it sounds) might be his weapon of choice. Everything about this picture is a deliberate contrast with the 2016 Outbreak Day poster, which was TLoU ptII Ellie's arm holding her switchblade. That's what makes me think 'antagonist'.

      The red scarring might be an infected bite, I suppse. Maybe there is another Immune in this world and he is a servant of darkness to contrast Ellie's light?

        Loading editor
    • Hmm, a battle of dark vs light would be pretty cool but, could be plausible. Any chance it could be Joel's arm? His brutality would better suit a hammer than a switchblade.

        Loading editor
    • In my mind, this is more Joel than an antagonist. Kevin Tong is an artist who use a lot the color blue and red but mostly red. The red color is definitively a part of his style. The Poster could represent Joel or an antagonist, but in both cases, the poster would be red/dark. Kevin Tong already did this kind of dualism with the posters of Warcraft and Halo Wars 2 where the protagonists (the Alliance for Warcraft and James Cutter for Halo Wars 2) were in blue/light and the antagonists (The Horde for Warcraft and Atriox for Halo Wars 2) were in red/dark. I don't know, maybe it's just doing it for the third time, for a video game, would be a bit lazy... [1]

      If i had to chose a spirit animal for Joel and Ellie, and without know the posters, i would have pick the butterfly for Ellie and the wolf for Joel. Both totally match with their personalities.

      I have the feeling that these posters represent the more their actual state of mind and goals at the beginning of the Part 2, than anything else.

      In symbolism wolves represent a quick, stealthy and ferocious warrior. They are also know for their sharp intelligence, strong instincts, lack of trust in people but deep loyalty for their pack. In Native American folklore the wolf is a pathfinder and so in a kind of way, a protector. Pretty much like Joel.

      The Hammer often represents the justice or so the revenge, and which fit with Ellie's quest of justice. It just shows that Joel will certainly will have a major role in Part 2. Ellie will be the main protagonist, but Joel is still a very important character.

      In my opinion, the 2016 poster clearly showed Ellie personality. The tattoo hides her bite but in same time the spleenworts clearly show that she "accepted" her new identity, mean someone different. She's infected and she's embrass this part of herself. Doesn't mean it would be easy to accept her new identity, but she certainly would like to stay true/honest with herself. The two differents spleenworths also show the path she was supposed to take (death, as infected or because of the fireflies) and this new and unknown path that the butterfly took and where she doesn't really know where she goes and how it will end. And the switchblade was Anna's of course.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with the widely-held theory that the second cinematic trailer is almost certainly a flashback to some adventure of Anna's (Ellie's mother). I'm guessing that something will happen as a result of the Clicker attack that leads to unborn Ellie being exposed to Cordyceps in a way that alters her prenatal development and makes it possible for the fungus to be a symbiont rather than a parasite in her system.

        Loading editor
    • I like the bit at the end about her passing on immunity via pregnancy. However, have we considered that the woman shown may not be Ellie's mother but actually a sister? The poster displayed in Uncharted 4 did say American daughters, plural implying more than just Ellie. 8)

      Also, maybe the cult is an offshoot of the Fireflies; wings could imply a firefly and with Marlene gone, it isn't too far fetched to believe the group may have devolved into a more extremist/authoritarian mindset. After all, bar one line. There's no reason for us to believe the events in the trailer take place in the past, why not post-2033?

      Thirdly, if we buy into the unnamed woman as Anna, imagine what would occur if that parental figure met Joel as the surrogate father. The mind explodes with possibilities as that conflict between parents. Nature vs nurture at its peak.

        Loading editor
    • FWIW, I don't think that this trailer was created especially for marketing purposes. I'm betting that it's an in-game cut scene.

        Loading editor
    • Possible, but I hope not. To have an entire six minutes spoiled of the bat disappoints me; I'd rather have had a tease of the game-play that a cut-scene that definitely would have been enjoyed a lot more when immersed in playing the game.

      I'm hoping it was like the cut scene we initially saw of Joel and Ellie way back when; that wasn't an in-game cut-scene but it teased an event in the game (fighting Hunters and Infected in Pittsburgh). I'm hoping for that, or the very least this cut-scene to be slightly different if rendered in the game.

      Thing I'm worried about though it if it is a flashback: flashbacks tend to be dodgy storytelling. Maybe its best if its not, that way Joel and Ellie meeting these characters is more believable; for her to meet her mother after 25 years would be an amazing moment, but realistically its flawed, especially when TLOU has emphasized more realism than the Uncharted series.

        Loading editor
    • With the release of the gameplay trailer, I think that the time has come to rework my theory. I'm pretty sure now that the cult we saw in the cinematic trailer is going to be the antagonists. Maybe, in the aftermath of the fall of the Fireflies about five years previously, they've become the ones giving hope and direction to the survivors in North America. Now, they've attacked Jackson and are responsible for the death of Ellie's girlfriend.

      So, I'm still calling that this is going to be a vendetta storyline but I think that this new faction, this cult, is going to be the antagonist. Maybe they know something about Ellie's past that will be the final-reel shock reveal?

      To summarise my current working theory:

      • Jackson is probably going to be damaged but intact; if the town had been destroyed, then Joel wouldn't be questioning Ellie's rampage but be right alongside her;
      • Dina will likely die during the Cult's attack on Jackson and avenging her will be Ellie's primary motivation;
      • The current leadership of the Cult will know something about Ellie's mysterious origins. When they find out who she is, their attitude towards her might change considerably (she'll either be a manifestation of the Divine on Earth or the Arch-demon herself).
        Loading editor
    • Oh yeah, this is definitely a vendetta story but it's starting to feel too obvious - like they've really spilled the plot bare if it's simply Ellie on a redemption quest for this girl Dina.

      By the way, did anyone else notice the picture of what seems to be a woman with the caption "May she guide us" seen on the left here: ^_^

      Could this be the leader of this religious/cultist extremists or is it just something completely unrelated to the game's story?

        Loading editor
    • The woman in the grafitti might be the cultist leader that Ellie's mother killed in the cinematic trailer. That's the sort of backstory that makes for a martyr or saint-like figure in these sorts of movements.

      Also, based on one of the cultist's dialogue in the gameplay trailer, I'm assuming that the cult is called The Sacrifice. The gramatical structure of the line makes 'Sacrifice' sound like a noun rather than a verb.

        Loading editor
    • Interesting, I noticed towards the end the last guy alive said sacrifice in a big way too. This game is going to be fascinating to play, can't wait ahah. also noticed the number "2" on the train as Ellie was fighting two bad guys - not so subtle way of saying this is Part II.

      Gonna be weird if we only play with Ellie though. One of the things (the thing) that made the first game so incredible was the little ways we see Joel and Ellie's relationship grow in-game as they journey together. Ellie on her own certainly creates an absence of such, meaning she'll spend a lot of time silent.

      The first game's best moments (even in the DLC) was when was the player was not alone but with someone at all times to "talk" to. Going to be strange lacking such to bounce off, but will make a great contrast to the first game - Ellie's fear of loneliness is realized.

        Loading editor
    • Did anyone notice that Ellie was wearing the wristband of the girl she was kissing after the transition? The first trailer was about revenge, so instead of Ellie avenging Joel's death, I think she is avenging her new love interest. This is all assumption with no other evidence to back it up. I havent seen anyone else talk about this so I just wanted to bring this into the discussion.

        Loading editor
    • to be honest with you Naughty Dogg has been aroyund for many years now almost 3 decades of gaming and iv clocked almost all of their releases



      this post apolcolyptic game is the greatest ever made and it is only going to get darker and more real as i feel there WILL be another and another after part II.....



      im not going to spec...... im going to CHECK what is going on by actually playing the game..



      however i feel that revenge is on the cards in this one and it is going to be one hella rollercoaster 

      and as for my main man joel ....if he dead its cool but how do you actually kill that dude !? 



      SUPER EXCITED .

        Loading editor
    • The plot will be that the muscular woman we don't know the name of yet it's actually Ellie's mom! We'll play as her or see flashblacks of her and what she went through like something similar of what the gameplay of Left Behind was. Ellie will find out how actually Anna died and it's possibly revealed that the new cult lead by Emily killed her. Ellie fuels up with rage and hate by this news and seeks revenge, That's why she was so furious and is determined to kill "every last one" of them in the trailers we've seen. The posters we saw of the two hands, one muscular arm holding a hammer (the muscular woman in the trailer we've seen) and the other arm which is Ellie's gave it away for me. We don't know the name of that woman yet, they haven't revealed it for a good reason because everybody else's names have been revealed. Like they said Laura Bailey is set to play an important character.... Plus what other reasons would Ellie have to be so full of hate to make her seek revenge like that? I don't think it's because they aparently killed Dina... it was too obvious from the trailer and you know ND's surprise element always plays really well. What do you think?

        Loading editor
    • > instead of Ellie avenging Joel's death, I think she is avenging her new love interest.

      right!

      >  I havent seen anyone else talk about this so I just wanted to bring this into the discussion. I said that when the first preview came out and nobody believed me.

      I don't think it's because they aparently killed Dina.

      If Dina is the girl she danced with, it is.

        Loading editor
    • I'm guessing that the woman we see in the second cinematic trailer is Anna, Ellie's mother. I'm guessing that she was somehow sort-of-infected in the Clicker attack that we cut away from. I'm also expecting that in utero Infection had somehow caused Ellie to develop a natural immunity or a kind of weird symbiosis with Cordyceps.

      However, as this is The Last of Us, I can't shake the feeling that there is going to be a horrible last reel revelation in Part II on a par with the revelation that Marlene wanted Ellie dead at the end of Part I. Maybe Anna had decided that the Seraphim were a useful tool to restore order to the world and had taken over the organisation? Maybe the last decision the player has to take is whether Ellie will execute her own mother for her crimes against all survivors?

        Loading editor
    • This has been a very interesting thread. On one hand, you have the somewhat expected plot twist of the unnamed woman in the trailer being Ellie's mom. On the other, you have BenRG's take on things. Personally, I kinda hope it's the latter theory, but that might be a bit too dark, even for a game that is said to be about hate.

        Loading editor
    • > I'm guessing that the woman we see in the second cinematic trailer is Anna, Ellie's mother.

      someone tell me why we know that Anna is a game character, please? I forgot.

      > I 'm afraid there will be a horrible last reel revelation in Part II on a par with Part 1.

      GOD I hope so!

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message