In The Last of Us
Training manuals help improve crafts. There are five different kinds of manuals, each covering one specific area of craftable weapons and tools, with the exception of Improvised Traps and Area-Denial Technique manuals, which cover both smoke bombs and nail bombs.
|Improves the durability of shivs. Each manual collected increases the number of times a shiv can be used.|
|Improves the effectiveness of health kits. Each manual collected increases the amount of health restored when Joel uses a health kit.|
|Improves the durability of modified melee weapons. Each manual collected increases the number of one-hit kills an upgraded melee weapon can perform before it reverts to its regular number of durability points.|
|Improves molotov cocktails. Each manual collected expands the explosion radius of thrown molotovs.|
|Improves the other types of explosives. Each manual collected either expands the explosion radius of smoke bombs or nail bombs.|
List of training manuals
The following is a list of all twelve training manuals that can be collected in The Last of Us.
|Shiv: Sharpening||Shivs last 1 hit longer||Bill's Town||Once you meet Bill, the manual will be on the bar of the safehouse before you leave to follow him.|
|Health: Splinting||Health kits are now 33% stronger||Pittsburgh||After surviving the hunters' ambush, it is beside the cots in the room before you go back outside.|
|Shiv: Reinforcement||Shivs now last 2 hits longer||Pittsburgh||Found in the hotel safe on the bottom floor; you will need to find the Note to Staff to unlock it.|
|Melee: Knots||Modifications on melee weapons last 1 hit longer||Pittsburgh||After the cutscene where Ellie shoots a hunter to save Joel, you will pass by the elevators on the left and a guitar case on your right as you leave the hotel. The manual is on the first table.|
|Molotov: Construction||Molotov explosion radius is now 1.5x wider||Pittsburgh||When you meet Henry and Sam, before following them through the door, check the kitchen counter to find this book.|
|Bomb: Containment||Bomb explosion radius is now 1.5x wider||The Suburbs||On a shelf in the sewers, near Ish's Shorty.|
|Melee: Techniques||Modifications on melee weapons last 1 hit longer||The Suburbs||When you reach the suburbs, one of the houses will have an attic you can boost Ellie into; the manual will be found there.|
|Smoke: Chemistry||Smoke from smoke bombs last 10 seconds longer||Tommy's Dam||It is found near the lantern when you first enter the generator building.|
|Health: Sterilization||Health kits are now 67% stronger||The University||In the courtyard where you encounter the monkeys, go into the building to the right, then go out the window on the second floor and walk down the awning. The manual will be on the right when you enter the next window.|
|Molotov: Deployment||Molotov explosion radius is now 2x wider||The University||When you enter through the wall in the science building, at the end of the hall is a shiv door. Inside, the manual will be opposite the tools.|
|Smoke: Shaping||Smoke from smoke bombs last 20 seconds longer||Lakeside Resort||Behind a Shiv door in an alley.|
|Bomb: Shrapnel||Bomb explosion radius is now 2x wider||Bus Depot||On top of a white truck near the bloaters.|
- I Got This (Bronze Trophy ) - Find all training manuals
- Scavenger (Gold Trophy ) - Find all collectibles
Bugs and Glitches
In some cases, when the player dies or quit the game, a previously found manual may need to be retrieved again depending on where the last auto-save occurred. Players should always double-check to ensure that any manuals they found previously don't need to be picked up again.
In The Last of Us: Part II
Training manuals once again appear in Part II but this time can be obtained by two different playable characters, Ellie and Abby. Below is the list of the manuals that the pair can find.
There are four training manuals that can be found as Ellie:
- Prep Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: Downtown)
- Found in the courthouse after breaking a window beside the elevators before going down into the parking lot.
- Unlocks Craft Melee Upgrades, Faster Crafting, Craft Smoke Bombs, Craft Improved Heath Kits, and Craft More Smoke Bombs.
- Stealth Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: Capitol Hill)
- Found in the gas station.
- Unlocks Craft Silencers, Listen Mode Clarity, Faster Prone Movement, Improved Silencers, and Faster Stealth Kills.
- Precision Training Manual (Seattle Day 2: Hillcrest)
- Through the liquor store, past a hole in the wall, inside a children's bookstore.
- Unlocks Aim Stability Increase, Faster Aim Movement, Listen Mode Range, Hold Breath While Aiming, and Craft More Arrows.
- Chemistry (Explosives) Training Manual (Seattle Day 2: The Seraphites)
- In the apartment building after being ambushed at the workbench, go inside the room the ambushers were hiding inside.
- Unlocks Craft Explosive Arrows, Improved Trap Mines, Improved Molotovs, Craft More Trap Mines, and Craft More Explosive Arrows.
There are four training manuals that can be found as Abby:
- Covert Ops Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: On Foot)
- Inside the warehouse, inside the boat.
- Unlocks Craft Shivs, Listen Mode Movement Speed, Grabbed Enemy Movement Speed, Faster Prone Movement, and Craft More Shivs.
- Close Quarters Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: Behind Enemy Lines)
- Inside a shop safe (Code: 68-96-89)
- Unlocks Momentum, Craft Improved Health Kits, Aim Stability Increase, Faster Health Kits and Momentum Duration Increased.
- Firearms Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: The Forest)
- Inside the auto shop.
- Unlocks Craft Incendiary Shells, Craft Hunting Pistol Ammo, Faster Aim Movement, Craft More Hunting Pistol Ammo, and Craft More Incendiary Shells.
- Ordinance Training Manual (Seattle Day 1: The Coast)
- Inside the ship in the safe (Code: 90-77-01)
- Unlocks Faster Crafting, Improved Melee Weapon Upgrades, Improved Pipe Bombs, Improved Silencers, and Craft More Pipe Bombs.
- The Shiv durability manuals do not "repair" a shiv in your inventory to the new hit capacity. Since door unlocking requires a full shiv, your current shiv will be worthless for that purpose.